Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Back from Wild Wonderful WV!

Old 05-06-2003, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default Back from Wild Wonderful WV!

Day 1- Called in 6 gobbler and missed twice[:@] because on my rookie brother. My buddy took a nice longbeard.

Day 2- In the rain called in a gobbler and a hen never had a clean shot. Then called in two jakes and took my first double with my brother and his first turkey My buddy called one very nice gobbler for another friend filling his tag.

Day 3- Hunted a new ridge and walked about a million miles. Worked two bird only to have one shot by another hunter and the other one clamed up and never seen. Brother had a gobbler within 40 yards and never shot!

Day 4- Took my gobbler by 7am and hunted with my brother the rest of the day. He seen two gobblers but never being able to get a shot.

Day 5- Worked a gobbler off roost for my brother and watched him strut from 80 yards to 20 only to have him start putting. Brother opened fire missing him twice Worked up another gobbler but again never getting shot off.

Day 6- Slept in trying to get rid of hang-over put on the night before[8D]

Over all we had a great week in West Virgina wish it could last all year. I drove back to NH all night on Saturday and got home just in time to change and head out into the woods. By 7:30am I worked in a what I thought was a longbeard and a jake. Turned out to be two jakes and had a great hunt on them so I decided to take the bigger one of the two. He gobbled all the way in and was strutting and spitting in front of me for a about 20 minutes before I decided to take him. Wasn' t a beard dragger but you' ld never know it the way he made me work. A very nice and memorable hunt

Old 05-06-2003, 06:08 PM

Default RE: Back from Wild Wonderful WV!

nice story. sounds fun. Good pic to. one looks a little wet tho.

Trc. Merc.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome back my friend!! Looks like you had yourself a great time!! Nice looking birds as well!!! You might want to edit your post, the last two pic' s didn' t come up because I see a space after the first.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:53 PM

Congrats on a successful hunt....I myself am a West Virginia hunter. I' ve busted up a couple of gobblers, but so far....no dice....sounds like u got em all... They' ve been all hened up the past couple of days, maybe I should just stick to deer huntin' [8D]
Old 05-07-2003, 01:24 PM

Congrats to both of you and nice lookin birds.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:46 PM

Congrats--sounds like a good time[8D]
Old 05-07-2003, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks everyone, it' s good to be back for a while! I have created a new turkey hunter with my brother. He had a blast and can' t wait to do it all over again. He told me me learned a lot hunting in our camp, we told him we' re still learning everytime we enter the woods or work a gobbler. The stats in order of the pics are, 13.5lb (both jakes) as far as the beard goes on those, I know mine was longer lol My gobbler was 17.5lb 9.5" beard 3/4" spurs. My NH bird was 15.5lb 5.5" (thick beard!) bumps for spurs.

I' m heading out Friday for VT I sure hope things continue to keep working for me. I forgot to post my buddys birds with ours so here' s his gobbler. It was 19.5lb 9" beards and 1" spurs. Our other buddy took a real nice gobbler, 21lb 10.5" beards and 1 1/8" spur on one and 1 1/4" on the other. I don' t have it on my digital but think I' ve got it on my regular camera.

Old 05-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

love the pics and the story........congrats to you both[8D][:-]
Old 05-07-2003, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

congrats....looks like you guys did good....good luck on the rest!!
Old 05-07-2003, 08:50 PM

congrats to the both of you! very nice birds and very nice pics , thanks for sharing them with us!

Quick Reply: Back from Wild Wonderful WV!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.