Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

owl hooters

Old 05-02-2003, 07:39 PM

Default owl hooters

does anyone actually get birds to gooble to these? i have used one the last 3 days and the birds are there and they never answer to it! anyone else have the same problem?
Old 05-02-2003, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: owl hooters

One of the places I' m hunting they will gobble at an owl hooter better than they do at a turkey call. I would rather not have to use a locator call but sometimes it will give you a 5 or 10 minute jump on them and that could be pretty important if it takes you awhile to get to them.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:49 PM

I was hit and miss with mine. Several mornings I was able to get one to shock gobble to it---other mornings they gobbled when they wanted to. It was great when they did sound off because I could get ready where I was or move closer to him.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:48 PM

I was able to roost at least one gobbler every night the week that I hunted with a owl hooter or a coyote howler.In the morning I prefer to let them start out on there own if I know where I want to set up.A couple years ago I switched from a reed type owl hooter to a canister type and I have really improved my roosting success since then.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never had any luck with an owl hooter, then again the one I have sounds pretty lame. Never been able to roost one in the evening either. I have some success with a crow call in the AM when they don' t gobble on their own. The two mornings I have hunted so far, no luck at all with locators.
Old 05-03-2003, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Up until this year, I had not experienced much success with an owl hooter. This year, however, they' re gobbling at it as much as (or more) than my calling. Unfortunately, this has not translated into a dead turkey yet this year, but it does tell me where I' ll be most likely to bump them off the roost!! [:' (]
Old 05-03-2003, 11:42 PM

my experience has been if a bird is gobbling to owl or crow calls, use them to locate the bird to make a setup.on public land where i hunt,after the first few days the birds have heard so many calls from so many different hunters that they may shut up except to gobble on the roost then go the other direction and not gobble again.i like to stay silent and let nature take it' s course.then i will develop a strategy.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Owl Hooters?

Now, lookin at women is one thing...but owls? I' m gonna have to move this to our adult section of the site...

All kidding aside...I take an Owl call with me whenever I got turkey hunting. They don' t respond to crows much around here, and I don' t have a peacock call (hear they work good), but yes, I usually can get gobbles off the roost with my owl hoot tube.

It works good for a locator around my parts...
Old 05-04-2003, 12:15 AM
Typical Buck

I bought the one from HS Strut 9 or 10 years ago, but I' ve never taken it into the woods. I always use my voice, and thought most people did the same. Now I' m seeing more and more calls on the market. Maybe I' ll take my call with me next time and compare responses to my voice vs the owl hooter. My voice usually does the trick if they are in the mood. Otherwise I' ll do a peacock or coyote howl.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:23 AM

I also use my voice. Usually I just rip off a very loud whoooooo, instead of the who cooks for you who cooks for you all series of hoots. It works better around here. I use owl hoots when it is dark, morning or evening. Later in the morning I switch to crow calls or other shock calls.

Some mornings the birds will not gobble no matter what, and other mornings they all want to gobble at anything they here.

Quick Reply: owl hooters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.