Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

A depressing morning.......

Old 05-02-2003, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default A depressing morning.......

First time out since saturday when my buddy fell asleep with a bird in front of him...........I thought that was disappointing. Been stopping at one of my spots before work this week and listening to a bird gobble his head off till almost 7 am 3 mornings in a row. I purposely worked extra hours so I could take this morning off and hunt him. He was roosting on top of a ridge, then pitching down to a bench in the woods and traveling the bench back and forth for the first hour of daylight. I set up on him, about 200 yds. from his roost, purposely to give myself room to relocate, anticipating a hung up, henned up gobbleer He was quiet at daylight, but around 7 am he answered my calls from about 250 yds away. I waited a few, then cut again, he gobbled back, closer.........I call, he gobbles, closer and closer and closer and finally.......BANG!! I get robbed by another hunter about 75 yards away, who I never heard call one time. The whole week I was cruising around these woods, not one car was parked anywhere. But today, they just had to show up. Now I' m not saying Iwould of killed this bird, but geez, I would of liked to have some kind of reward for my work, maybe just a glimpse of him or something. I hate this sport. Why does it always seem like when you do all that work and preparation, someone dumps on your head, then another time you just walk in the woods, cluck one time and drop a bird in 2 minutes?? I hate, I hate it, I hate it!![:@] I don' t even know if I' m gonna go on saturday now, might go trout fishing instead............maybe........someone will probably cut my lines.........
Old 05-02-2003, 02:13 PM

Default RE: A depressing morning.......

Mikey,

You need redemption... Go get a different bird.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

We can all thank the NWTF for all the " new" members they wanted to sign up and get " into" this sport!! Now we have to all deal with this kind of let down because the woods are getting more and more crowded each and every spring!!!! Who ever snuck in front of you and sniped your bird is a " Class A" JERK!! I can just hear the story he' s telling everyone, that he called that bird in from over 300 yards away!! Talk about a looser or what!! Sad, isn' t it!! I can surely feel for you!![:@]
Old 05-02-2003, 09:15 PM

That is a bummer. Boy I think I would have to had to have some words with that jerk.

The worst day in the turkey woods is better than the best day of any thing else I have ever done... Except when some thing like that happens.

Jerry
Old 05-02-2003, 09:28 PM

Tryin' to figure this out...........how would the other hunter have known you were there? How do you know that he wasn' t there 1st?
It' s kind of surprising at everyone' s attitude.........here in AZ, you have to be drawn to spring hunt turkeys and the last time i had a tag was 4 years ago. Believe me, alot changes in 4 years. My favorite spot, which had nobody huntin' it, now has 6 other hunters.
Whats the big deal, go find another spot.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:35 PM

Bowhuntinmaniac

Wow I guess your right. My first reaction was to get mad about it, but now that you put it that way the other hunter might not have been all in the wrong. I would still have wanted to talk to the guy though, just to see what his side of the story was.

Thanks for adding your point of veiw.

Jerry
Old 05-03-2003, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

I wasen' t necessarily mad at the guy, mostly at how the situation turned out. I' m sure we' ve all accidently set up in front of someone without knowing they are there. But when I' m sitting 100 yards to your right cutting up a storm on a glass call and there is a tom gobbling 100 yards to your left in response to the calls, and your in the middle, and you can' t figure out that someone may be hunting there, especially when you park next to me 30 minutes after I get there........and I' ve been sitting in the same spot for an hour.......I have a right to be a little irritated. I don' t know about anybody else, but when I walk into a spot and hear hen calls and gobbles in response, I take a minute or two and try and figure out what is happening, especially on public land when I know other vehicles are parked in the area.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

IM NEW TO TURKEY HUNTING,BUT HAVE BEEN FISHING AND HUNTING ALL MY LIFE.I WOULD HAVE NOT CUT YOU OUT OF A CHANCE FOR THAT BIRD.99 % OF PEOPLE I DONT THINK WOULD HAVE,BUT THERE IS ALWAYS ONE OUT THERE.DONT GIVE UP.I ELIMINATED THAT PROBLEM AND HUNTED ON PRIVATE LAND,PAID A LITTLE MONEY BUT IT WAS WORTH IT. THE LANDOWNER WAS A GREAT GUY AND I HAD NO HUNTING PRESSURE.ALL THE MONEY I PISS AWAY ON DIFFERENT THINGS EACH YEAR,IT WAS A SMALL PRICE TO PAY FOR A QUALITY HUNT.I COULD PUT OUT DECOYS,USE A GOBBLE SHAKER ETC,ALWAYS BEING AWARE,BUT NOT AS DISTRACTED THAT SOME GOOF WOULD TAKE A SHOT AT ME.STAY FOCUSED,YOU WILL PREVAIL.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:04 AM

Here' s a twist to consider--Maybe the dude thought you were a " real" hen. [] Then you should feel pleased that your calling not only fooled a tom, but another hunter. (My wife swears my diaphragm calling sounds exactly like a " real" hen, but then, that' s why I married her-- she wears rose colored glasses when it comes to me!! ) I know there are rookies out there that would have a hard time distinguishing man from hen, even if they parked next to another hunter in the parking lot of the habitat they were going to hunt. So, don' t be mad, be flattered!!!!
Old 05-05-2003, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

After re-reading his post again, he didn' t mention that he " heard" someone else calling to that gobbler, meaning that guy who was in front of him!!! Also that guy in front of him " HAD" to hear someone working that bird!!! Funny, but after all that hen talk and not seeing a hen going to that gobbler and sounding like the calls were comming from the very same spot spells one thing in my book......." ANOTHER HUNTER IS WORKING THAT GOBBLER" !!!!! My view point on it stands as is, that guy ambushed that turkey knowing full well someone else was calling it in.....PERIOD!! Those guys are JERKS!![:@]

Quick Reply: A depressing morning.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.