Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

illinois 5th season

Old 05-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default illinois 5th season

Well, all the 5th and last spring season in illinois has came and gone. Was about the second hardest season of turkey hunting I have had in 15 years. The opening day of the season started out as a great day. There was slight overcast, but temp was great. I had with me my protege and one time bird killer Joe. As we drove up Joe asked where we should start, of course my answer was "Where the turkey's are". We hit a spot, and did some owl hooting to no avail. So, with the sun creeping up and already behind the clock having to work the night before, we decided to hit another area I have scouted fall and winter long. After getting to the area we got out and got a gobble from the car door. As all of us have been there, we ran in to set up on a field. After the bird hit the ground there was no more gobble. So, we sat and waited calling softly, gradually ramping it up every 15-30 minutes, for about 2.5 hours. With no sight, nor sound of a turkey, we left to try another area. This scene would play out for the next two days. Joe was becoming more and more upset and started pondering the great "why" question. After several debates, I summoned it up with, "the birds are still there doing what they do, all we have to do is put leather on the ground to find them." The fourth day of the season was a no show for me, because lack of sleep from hunting and work finally took it's tull, as my wife reminds me "not as young as I once was." But, I refuse to give in. On the fifth day we hit it hard and actually got a bird to gobble and come in. Joe was the primary shooter to get another bird and keep him hooked (like he could get anymore hooked). The tom came in and gave us a nice show and was heading our way, when lady luck stepped in for the Tom in the form of a Hen. I fought the heated battle of who was sexier, but she won out (hard to belive, I know). AFter the birds was gone onto other pastures (literally, and private land) Joe kept beating himself up over not taking the shot. I said man, if you don't feel like that bird is in the freezer, before you shoot, then you did the right thing. The sixth day was a non-hunt, mother nature called up one of the classic spring midwest rainstorms with tornado warnings (like living in illinois that is something new). The morning of the last day was perfect, clear skies, warm air and the feeling that we will be having breakfast by 8 am. Well, our great field was under 8" of water, there was no gobble to be had. We went around trying differnet area's, walking and calling, Nothing. So finally as the 11th hour approached, we went to try a hail mary area. As, we drove past I stopped backed up and seen what looked like a new deer trail I haven't seen. We went to the parking area 5 min. from the trail, and I told Joe, "take me back and drop me at that trail and you come back to where we hunted the other day". he said, "Okay, but I think its a waste of time". You ever get that feeling that the invisible force of the universe is telling you something, that when you listen mother nature awards you with a prize. Well, that is what I felt, that something great was going to come. Joe, dropped me, and as I walked he tore out of the area to get to the parking area, again 11th hour. I walked following the trail, past a firebreak, looking around decided that it just wasn't right, so I headed on to the other cut. I had me mask handing around my neck, my seat slung over my shoulder and my gloves in my vest. As i spied the other firebreak, I caught movement to my left. I froze as if whitetail hunting and peered that way, a head popped up and looked around then went back down. "Okay, it's a turkey, but did it see me? Was it a male?", was the quick question I asked my self as I let my seat hit the ground softly and raised the mossberg. As i shouldered the reliable bronze baron buster, a red head popped up and BAM, the gun went off and the bird was down. I ran up as he was flopping, and thanked the almighty. My cellphone rand and it was Joe. "You shoot a bird?", he asked, I replied "yep" and held the phone down so he could hear the flopping. He had just go out of the car and got his shotgun out when he heard the shot. It was a mature Jake, but could of been the double bearder I shot two years ago. With mine behind me and an hour to go, we ran to another spot and tried to no avail to get Joe his bird. It was tough and as we drove home like many do we reminesed about the week. Joe said, "Well, tell me about the fall turkey hunting, I just might try it." I said, "Joe, it's alot like this week but remeber the birds are always there doing what they do."
Old 05-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: illinois 5th season

Great story!! I hunted the 5th season with my cousin. Man, does 5th season just get under my skin. We had one on the last Tue. that we saw cutting across a field. So we backed up and got out and snuck up through the woods. That bird was hot!!! Gobbling at song birds as he walked across the field. We got to within 80 yards and set up. I started with some soft yelps on a glass slate and he hammered. And then literally turned around and walked to the other side of the field gobbling the whole time and then proceeded to gobble and strut for the next hour and a half. He gobbled well over 300 times and ended up gobbling in another tom. We were stuck and couldn't make a move and they finally gave up and kept going the other way gobbling the whole time. The next morning was the day before the close of season and we had 5 birds on roost scattered about over an undisced farm field. As soon as they hit the ground we never heard another peep. 5th season has always kicked my butt.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: illinois 5th season

It was certainly a furstrating 5th season for us here in Fulton county! High winds, lots of rain and birds that have been hunted HEAVILY up to that point made for turkey hunting that was as difficult as anything I've personally ever seen. [&:]