Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How' s the PA boy' s doing today????

Old 04-26-2003, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How' s the PA boy' s doing today????

I was just wondering how some of the PA boy' s are doing today since it' s their opener this morning!! I figured that we' d have some early birds in by now!! It was suppose to rain today, but it looks like the weather held off!!
Old 04-26-2003, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How' s the PA boy' s doing today????

It' s pouring rain right now. The rain was lighter around 5:30 this morning. I went turkey hunting for a few hours, but I just got tired of the rain. I wasn' t really hunting in a good spot anyway.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

me and my buddy didnt do bad....it sprinkled here a few times until 9 or so and quit...wasnt bad i didnt get wet...worked a bunch of birds...had 3 or 4 hang up on the other side of a field about 70-100yds out...one was about to become visible...the field had a peak of a hill in the middle and they were on one side and we were on the other so we never seen eachother...then we walked to the other side after they shut up and a kid on a atv came through...there was still one there....he ran off...nice longbeard...we goto another spot and sat down and called..a hen came as soon as we started almost..she went behind a bush and i got my gun up and ready incase her hubby followed...he did...so did he " mistress" lol...they came farther down the hill about 45-50yds out....im almost posative it was a gobbler..he was bigger and had a red tone to his head...another few feet i could made out a beard and a few more i could taken him..but he snuck around the bottom edge and snuck out...they goobled hard off the roost but after that they pretty much shut up..the ones in the field gobbled a few times tryin to get us to goto them...all in all i closed the day with a smile on my face and called that a succsess...called them in with my hand made stricker...i liked that lol..good luck the rest of the season......
Old 04-26-2003, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hang tuff guys, tomorrow will be a much better day!! There predicting a nice sunny day!! Put one to bed tonight for tomorrow morning!! Good luck!!
Old 04-26-2003, 01:40 PM

Paul,

We can' t hunt Sundays. I' ll be roosting one tommorow for Monday though!

Tyler
Old 04-26-2003, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

All the scouting, all the patterning, all the call practicing.......and he walked away! Me and a buddy were hunting back to back on a big tree on the edge of a field that the birds ALWAYS(according to my buddy) come to about an hour after fly-down. I was getting restless after about an hour of calling, and I could tell my partner in crime was snoozing. I leaned out away from the tree to stretch my back, and turned around to look out in front of my buddy and saw a large tom heading right for his decoy..........that is until he noticed me moving. If my buddy wouldn' t of been sleeping on the job.............grrrrrrrrr[:@] He laughed and told me I wasen' t calling often enough to keep him awake.......[&:]
Old 04-26-2003, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I forgot that you guys can' t hunt on sunday' s!! Bummer!!
Hey, how did BT and Jalvja make out in NC? I thought I read somewhere that they were both driving down together? I know BT' s in PA hunting with Jim as we speak. I haven' t heard a single peep out those guys yet!!
Old 04-26-2003, 02:54 PM

Good luck.
Save some for mother' s day week when I come up.
Old 04-27-2003, 06:21 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-27-2003, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The putter died yesterday [:@], just got it up and running again,
We have a very slow NC hunt with 3 days of No Sound or Sign ,, its hard to have things work with the hunting in that way,, But!
Pa. we had a blast ! yesterday , We also had the mist rain , but the action was great , 1st set up right in the Middle of a Flock and had birds talking in all directions. There was Bosstom and I sitting togeather and Mike my cousin sitting 30 yards away with no gun. We had birds coming into the call from all ways , a nice Longbeard 10 yards in front of mike with no gun and we could not shoot that way because of the safty view and two others in front of us after calling in the Hen that was with them. I took shot and the others scattered and we could not get another safe shot for a Double. We had alot of fun on that setup.

2nd setup we called a hen in that almost hit her head on Bosstoms gun , but no Tom followed.

Setup 3 , We were walking a field top and made a call and out of nowhere a Gobble sounded right on top of us, well we setup as fast as we could , but Old Bosstom just was not fast enough and got caught , the longbeard spooked at 30 yards.
We had a feast opening evening with a deep fried Pa. turkey[