Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Fan saving question

Old 03-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Fan saving question

First,
I read the tips at the top of the forum..I still had a bad experience last year..

I got the fan off and poured a mountain of salt on the flesh..the bugs still filled that area..I tried Borax..the same thing..Do you guys get bugs in your turkey flesh after you got the fan off?
C7
Old 03-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fan saving question

Make sure you get as much of the meat offas possible. You should be able to getit all off with just a little yellow fat holding the fan together. Use borax instead of salt. Put the fan indoors so bugs won't get on it. It won't smell if you get the meat off and put borax on it. I have never had a problem with a fan smelling or bugs, and I have done many. I keep all of my fans indoors, whether in my house or at the camp. The more meat you get off, the quicker it will dry. My fans take only a week to dry, but I get every bit of meat off before pinning down and applying borax.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks man.mine was outside in the shed..It was horrible..[&o]
I also noticed the post pinned ot th eyop ..he had a can of bug spray as well.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use borax instead of salt.
I'll add one other tip. Instead of paying a lot for those little packs of borax that some outdoors stores sell for just this purpose, instead go to the local grocery store and buy you a box of 20 Mule Team Borax laundry detergent. You will get 10 times as much (enough for many birds) for the same price and it works perfectly fine.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

there is a show on the sportsman channel called taxidermy for the sportsman, try to go to the website and look for the episode where the show u how to preserve a fan it will really help u out i always thought it was hard thing to do but they show it to be simple. all u need is a sharp pair of scissors to cut out the "v" bone and a knife to scrape the fat and meat with the show even shows u how to wash the fan and dry it to sluff the feathers its pretty neat....
Old 04-01-2009, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ditto
ORIGINAL: Todd1700

Use borax instead of salt.
I'll add one other tip. Instead of paying a lot for those little packs of borax that some outdoors stores sell for just this purpose, instead go to the local grocery store and buy you a box of 20 Mule Team Borax laundry detergent. You will get 10 times as much (enough for many birds) for the same price and it works perfectly fine.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:27 PM

I cut the fan off, clean of excess flesh and put it in the freezer for three days. Works great!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:42 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Yes I spray a house and graden insecticide on the fan and I dry mine in the basement. I treat it again before each season's use and again when I put them away.

When I put them away as they are dry - I spray a bit in a big plastic bag and seal this. My fans are stored in the otuside in a garage. Fans are placed between two big flat pieces of cardboard and bagged.

Don't have basement - place in a big paper bag as it breaths do not use plastic and insert a moth ball block.

that will also keep bugs away.

JW
Old 04-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks so much for the advice.
C7