Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Journalism Story for School...Turkey Hunting

Old 03-29-2009, 01:11 PM

Default Journalism Story for School...Turkey Hunting

Hi everyone! I hope everyone is doing well. I am yet again working on another article for my journalism class, and this time I am writing about turkey hunting. I did an article about 2 weeks ago about Trail Cameras (which thank you once again to all that contributed to helping me with the article!)...

For those of you who do not know me or have seen my other post about Trail Cameras, let me introduce myself. I am an junior English Major. For my journalism class (which counts towards my English Major) I have to write 8 articles, which have a possibility of being published in our school newspaper, also known as the B&M. The paper is non-profitable. It is free to anyone on campus and off campus. The purpose of the school paper is simply to let majors practice writing for a paper, and have a relatively close experience in a school setting as to how a newpaper/magazine opertation works.

What I have to do is do some research about turkey hunting, such as when the season opens, what are the laws and regulations, etc. I also am required to interview people, whether it be on the phone, email or online. I feel it is easier to interview online, especially with people who do not know me or me not knowing you, and also because people can fill out the answers in their own time.

I am required to have 3 personal quotes from 3 people for my article. I am posting a series of questions along with this posting for those of you who are willing to fill them out. If you answer my questions I need a name and a location...I know last names can be a little sketchy to give to a personal stranger, so a simple first name and a last initial will do. I also need the state of location.

Here are my questions, and thank you in advance for replying to my thread. If you want to send me an PM instead of posting it onto the thread, that works as well.

Thanks once again everyone!

Questions:

1) How long have you been hunting Turkey?
2) Do you hunt on private or public land?
3) Do you use decoys?
4) Do you use a blind, or no blind?
5) What is the largest Turkey you have ever shot?
6) Tell me about one of your experiences while turkey hunting.
7) What times are good times for turkey hunting?
8) Have you ever introduced someone to Turkey hunting?
9) What kind of gun do you use?
10) How do you conseal yourself in the woods? (can be linked to #4)

These are the questions I have come up with so far. If anyone wants to add anything to their replied please do. I have never been turkey hunting before, but I plan on going this year with my fiance who has gone in the past to further my experiences with hunting.

My article is due Friday April 3rd at 5pm.

Thanks, everyone!

4/1/09

Hi everyone! I just wanted to drop a line to everyone. So far I have only gotten one response to this thread. Please help me out with this! My article is due in less than 48 hours and I need 2 more people to answer my questions. It would help out soooo much!

If anyone has contributed to my trail camera one a few weeks ago and asked to see it, I haven't posted it yet because I have only been graded on it. If and when it actually makes the paper, I will post it for everyone to see.

Thanks everyone!

Old 03-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Another Journalism Story for School...Turkey Hunting

1. This season will be my seventh.
2. Mostly private, but sometimes on public
3. Yes, unless they aren't working, in which case I don't
4. Half and half. I will start out in a blind, but if I have to move, I usually will just sit out in the open.
5. 24 lbs, 10.5 inch beard
6. My first season, I wasn't using decoys. My dad and I watched a group of turkeys for a few hours out in a field without being able to call them in. Finally, we decided to try the dekes. They were back in our truck, so I had to belly crawl about 50 yards, until I was out of sight, run to the truck, and then I had to repeat it again on my way back. When I got back the turkeys were still in the same place, so my dad crawled a few feet out into the field and stuck them out. We made a few calls to get their attention. When they saw the decoys, the whole flock came sprinting in. I ended up shooting a jake, and it got me hooked for life.
7. Morning and mid-morning is probobly best. I like early mornings the best because that's when the turkeys gobble the most.
8. no
9. Benelli Nova. 12 gauge
10. Sometimes a blind. Otherwise, complete camo from head to toe, including face mask and gloves. Most important thing is to not move a muscle.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:51 PM

Thank you Ihuntandfish for responding. Your answers have helped great!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Questions:

1)10 years
2) 95% of my time is spent on private land.
3) 98% of the time. unless there is a lag in the breeding cycles
4)I only use a blind when bowhunting turkey
5)23lb triple beard 10", 7", and 5.5" with 1 1/8" spurs
6)The hunt i will remember the most is mylongest. I only had a couple of hours before I had to get to work that morning. I knew where the birds had been roosting so I got in extra early and set up. Low and behold they moved almost another 200 yards in the opposite direction. I heard the tom pitch down and as soon as he hit the ground he started gobbling. I knew he was trying to gather his hens so I knewI better get to work. He began answering every callI threw at him. After about 15 minuteshe turned and started my way. at that point he was almost 400 yards away. In turkey woods that is like 80 miles. I ended up working this bird forclose to an hour and half when he crested the last hill and I could finally get alook at him. he gets to about 50 yards and locks uplike a Brinks Truck. I knew I was running out of time to get to work. PLus I had an acorn or thorn or something poking me in my rear. whatever it wasit wasnt comfortable to sit on while trying to remain motionless. finallafter another 15 min of him looking for the hen he brokethe last 8 yards i needed for himto be in effective killing range. With the flex of my finger and a split second I had abeautiful mature tom that weighed almost 24lbs and had an 11"beard.
7)Most people will say at day break or late morning.
8)Plenty of people.I try to introduce someone new every year
9)My grandfathers Remington 1100
10)depends on the amount of greenat that time of the year. mostly with an open pattern camowith a little bit more green tones. while sitting against a tree that is wider than myself
Old 04-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

1) How long have you been hunting Turkey? 4 years
2) Do you hunt on private or public land? private
3) Do you use decoys? yes i use decoys
4) Do you use a blind, or no blind? ive used blinds commercial and natural
5) What is the largest Turkey you have ever shot? my largest turkey was a "eastern" 24 lbs,1-1/2 spurs to the T. 10-3/4 beard
6) Tell me about one of your experiences while turkey hunting. i shot my biggest turkey (ques. 5) in the pouring rain on mothers day last year..i pretty much thought all hope was lost. he never gobbled and came in with 1 hen.
7) What times are good times for turkey hunting? see how i can only hunt till noon, mornings
8) Have you ever introduced someone to Turkey hunting? no
9) What kind of gun do you use? remington 12 ga. express mag.
10) How do you conseal yourself in the woods? (can be linked to #4) Good camo, i like to make natural blinds...sticks,leaves whatever is laying around

Michael W. Dayton-Ohio