Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How soon can I hunt this area again??

Old 03-25-2009, 06:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default How soon can I hunt this area again??

This is my 2nd year hunting. I got one last year..Can some of you more expereinced tell how soon you would hunt this area again..
Thanking you in advance for your input,
C7

Bummed Out[:@][:@][:@][&o]

Went out this morning to my white tail spot..I had to cross a bayhead ,a field and then I set up in a 2nd bayhead...by some water..I yelped ..heard nothing and left..As I was heading back to cross that first small bayhead..I heard a gobble..YES!!I then hurried and tacked up some camo burlap about 30 inches high..learned later..that is too high.[&o]I answered the gobbler with 3 yelps. He gobbled again..I yelped again..He gobbled ..I shut up and waited..After 15 long minutes I did some cutting .and low and behold he gobbles real loud about 50 yds away..I did some excited cutting and took the saftey off..I straightened my gun up toward where I was expected him..and I realized my camo burlap is too high[&o][X(]So I couldn't aim straight with out moving the camo..and now..1 minute later he walks right in front of me like a brave soldier..black and slick standing tall with that pale blue head at about 25 yds..He appears he knows something is wrong and begins to take a 45 degree turn away from me..I shoot..AND MISS[:@][:@]I beleive I hurried the shot..anyway I'm sick..
Chuck7

Old 03-25-2009, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How soon can I hunt this area again??

If I understand you, you got one last year, and just missed on this year. That's no big deal as far as the turkeys go. I'd hunt there again whenever you can.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:03 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd hunt there again whenever you can.

No kidding ..the same exact place.?? I appreciate the encouragement..right now I feel as bad as if comeone hit my truck and and did 2000.00 in damages..[&o]and drove off.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

First, lose the burlap. If you can sit still, you don't need it and sooner or later, all that fumbling while getting it set up will cost you a turkey. If you KNOW you have birds coming to a particular spot and you have plenty of time, then take it and set up a blind. Otherwise, just use the cover that is available. I have taken birds while sitting against a pine tree in burned out woods. I was as exposed as a wart on your nose, but being set up in the right direction, sitting VERY still, and a little patience gave that bird a ride in my truck.

As for that particular bird, I would give him a week or two to settle down before I messed with him again. Their little pea-brains don't store a lot of memories and, while they learn fast from bad experiences, if you go in with a little different tactic and out think him, you'll have company on the way home, too.

Good luck!
Old 03-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt "the same place" a lot, but I don't go in knowing exactly where I'll set up. I let the gobbling birds tell me. I try to get most of the way in unseen/unheard, and then either try to get a shock gobble or wait for them to gobble on their own. Then I figure out where to set up.

But, assuming there is more than one turkey using the woods you hunt, and the spot you hunted/missed is a good spot, such as between a roost and a strut zone, heck yeah, hunt the same spot.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree , I'd lose that burlap too....stillness is the key...I think if you give him even just a couple of days, don't sit in the exact spot, even 10 yds away from there would be ok, I'm supersticious(sp?) like that, lol......sounds like you did everything right,cept for the bagwithout that , you wouldn't of rushed your shot.....I'm still proud of ya, you went out there and you got alot closer to killing a bird then some.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Folks,
And huntma..you know where I hunt.,That Green Swamp WMA has a ton of pressure..yep..the burlap is gone..
Old 03-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck. You'll be fine. Think of it this way, you WERE successful. You found that bird, called him in and brought him to 25 yards! That sir is success. Just because that bird isnt dead does not mean you didnt do a hell of a job. The only part you had a mishap on was the shot. (That may be one of the most vital parts of a hunt) but nonetheless a small mistake. It happens.BUT, you did everything else perfect. So, that said, I'd go to the same spot TOMORROW. Just use a different call and calling stylethan what you used the first time and dont setup in exactly the same spot, and you'll be fine. The gobblers have to go to hens multiple times per day, so it isnt like that gobbler is going to stop coming to hen sounds altogether. Last time you yelped, now if you hear one close, just give some clucks and purrs. Switch it up, and you'llknock em down.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks man,
Actually my next time will have to be next week..I'm a teacher and took a sick day today..[8D]Next week is spring break so I'll be going out there..ALOT it's 31 miles away..The problem with FLorida is that the terrain is very flat..It's hard to find an elevated spot..I wish I had done what the one man said ..just find a big tree and sit