Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Any Idea?

Old 03-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any Idea?

I never have seen turkeys on my land up until about 2 yrs. ago since then I have maybe seen a grand total of about 12 (about 8 of those this year)but they very likely could have been some of the same birds. My question is, is there a time frame as to when I will start to see a noticably more substantial flock of birds. I believe that I have a pretty good area for them to multiply so if you guys could shed some light on that I would appreciate it.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any Idea?

well if you are already seeing an increase in numbers that is a good sign. do you have an approximate ratio of hens to toms. if a hen has a good hatch the numbers could double or possibly triple in less than 2 years. i would try not to put to much pressure on them either.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

We got the state to stock some birds on a 2,200 acre lease several years ago. THey put out a couple of gobblers, a jake or too, and about 12 hens. It took 5 years before we had enough birds to allow a gobbler or two to be taken. Soon after that the population really took off and we were able to take 5+gobblers a year

Once the flock reachs a certain critical mass the population explodes. I am not sure what the number is, but with good hatches in back to back to back years you can go from few birds to an abundance of turkeys.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Would you guys suggest that I avoid hunting them on my property this year?
Old 03-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

Well, you probably don't have many turkeys but I can almost promise you that you have more birds than you have seen. But anyway No, you shouldn't hunt your land yet because you dont't want to kill of a valuble turkey at this point and early in the population start-up you don't want to make them more aware and keen to hunters than they already are.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok thanks guys.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:02 AM
Spike

If you don't hunt,they may use it as safe grounds.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could always create brush piles to give the hens more nesting opportunities...If they're there, hunt them! Good luck man