Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Set up near nesting area?

Old 04-21-2003, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default Set up near nesting area?

Trapper T touched on a similar topic in one of his threads, but I' ve got a little tweak to it. I know that you can have success by setting up near nesting areas and calling to trolling toms. My question is how far from a nesting area will a tom typically hang out? They aren' t talking in my area right now, so I' m having to improvise based on what I' ve seen. I bumped a lone hen late Friday afternoon from a brushtop in the edge of a clearcut. When I went back Saturday mid-morning, she was there again, but I didn' t spook her out. I had already called for an hour about 150 yards back up the road from the hen' s location, but got no response. Just curious what others have done to connect on a tom near nesting areas. I' m thinking of heading back to the area next Sunday for a mid-morning hunt, and would like some input. The Easterns in western WA are really spread out, so I have to think (especially if she really was nesting) there is likely a gobbler close by. I only saw hen droppings around the nesting area Friday, so I' m not sure where to set up. Suggestions, comments, etc.?
Old 04-23-2003, 01:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Set up near nesting area?

Just bumpin' it up.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

Slee, all I can tell ya is, 150yds is well within a gobblers range. they' ll range out a good bit further than that, but 150yds sounds like a good set up spot from the nest. but, if your not hearin any gobbles, seein any gobbler droppins, tracks, etc then it might be time to move on to another spot. because if there' s a gobbler roostin around there close, you should hear him or at least see some sign.
I' ve always heard that when the hens are settin then the gobblers will roost close to them, but keep in mind, that there' s more hens than gobblers, so I think I' d be lookin for a more promising place, where there' s gobbler sign.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

I don' t think I' m gonna spend any more time in there because I' ve not seen any gobbler sign in the area. We set up within 50 yards of where we bumped her Friday afternoon, and I set up on both sides of her spot on Saturday without any response. I' ve got a few other spots that I' ve seen birds, so I' ll stick with them for now. Thanks.