Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Sighting system for Rem 1100 or 1187

Old 03-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sighting system for Rem 1100 or 1187

Hey fellas! I'm almost finished collecting all my gear for my first attempt at turkey. I went out and patterned my Rem 1187 yesterday and it seems to like either Rem Nitro 3" in 6-Shot or Rem Wingmaster HD 3 1/2" in 6 shot. I tried Win Supreme and Federal Premium shells also and the choke I have likes the Rems better. I patterned my gun at 40 yards and also 20 yards. My choke is a little open so it patterns better at close range. I did all this with just the vent-rib and the bead. I would like to mount a dot sight just to be that much more accurate.

What systems are you guys using? I'm preferrably looking for info on Rem 1100's and 1187's.

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sighting system for Rem 1100 or 1187

Williams Fire Sights.

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/shotgun.htm
Old 03-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

SW

I shoot the Mossburg 835, Star Dot .767 with Nitro Triplex 3.5" 4X5X7. The pattern is so tight that I was afraid of missing at short range. I looked at the Red Dots but they just weren't for me. I know guys that use them and love them, so it is just a personal preference on my part.

I eventually went with a low power scope, Bushnell Trophy 1.75 X 4 with the circle X reticle. This isn't an expensive scope but it has held up fine thus far. I would have prefered a Nikon Monarch or Leupold but didn't have the Jack at the time to buy one.

After two complete seasons of use I have really enjoyed the scope. I leave it on 1.75 or 2 X, but it is nice to be able to dial it up to 4X occasionally to look at a turkey if I don't want to drop the gun and grab the binos. One needs to be careful not to underestimate the range even at the lowest settings, as the bird will appear closer than he is. Since I am left eye dominant that isn't a problem for me because I have to shut my left eye anyway to look through the scope. I simply open my left eye and slowly move my head slightly to the left to see the turkey with both eyes and range him.

The scope works in any light during hunting situations. Turkeys are called and shot after it gets plenty bright enough to see and they fly up to roost well before dark.

I don't have to worry about batteries running out of power or electrical gizmo malfunctions.

Using the butler creek snap open scope covers the glass stays dry, clearand free of mud.

A goodscope with quality mounts seems more durable to me than the red dots that I handled. That is a subjective observation on my part.

One of these days I would love to have an EOTech halographic sight. I looked at some at the NWTF convention last weekend and was blown away. These are the sights the military uses and they are incredibly durable, bright, submersible to 10 feet or more (depending on themodel). Battery life is 600-1200 hours of continuous operation. Only problem is they cost about $500.00.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with mouthcaller. Another problem he didn't metion though waswhen a ol tom comes in you got to turn it on, and as we all know turkeys have pretty darn good eyesight. I also saw those EOTech sights too. I was also blown away. They even had one with broken glass and when you looked through it it was just like new.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks fellas!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:56 AM
Spike

don't waste your time on a red dot....and try the remington premier magnum heavy shot 3" #5 in the gun. i shoot a 1100, 32" factory choke. i kill birds at 50 yards plus.

if you do go with a red dot scope you must repatern your gun all over again.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckmarlin

don't waste your time on a red dot....and try the remington premier magnum heavy shot 3" #5 in the gun. i shoot a 1100, 32" factory choke. i kill birds at 50 yards plus.

if you do go with a red dot scope you must repatern your gun all over again.
Why would I have to repattern the gun? It's still going to pattern the same. All I would need to do is fire a few shells to dial in the scope.