Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

My first turkey (jake)!

Old 04-21-2003, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default My first turkey (jake)!

At 37, I' m not young, but was no less excited at getting my first turkey. Admittedly, all I did was pull the trigger. My buddy did the scouting, set us up, and called him in. We had a few sounding off in the morning as the beginning of light was drawing near. It was exciting to hear them in the pre-dawn, knowing that each was no more than 100 yards away. Soon after you could tell it was getting lighter, my buddy did some calling, to which both responded. We were situated on opposite sides of the tree, and as it became obvious to us that both gobblers were closing, I told him that if the one above us got there first, it was his. The hunt centered around me getting my first turkey, but that was no big deal to me to begin with, I just hoped for some action regardless of who was able to shoot. Anyway, the bird on my side of the tree appeared at about 40 yards, and was looking for the " hen." I figured it would continue to close the distance, so held off on shooting. It came in to about 30 yards, but was behind a tree, wondering where the hen was. After about 20 seconds or so, it eased up the hill, where I shot it at 25 yards. My buddy congratulated me on an obvious kill shot, and tried to call to the other bird that was just over the ridge, to no avail. Since he had a doctor' s appointment later in the morning, we packed up and headed home. Ideally, I will learn to call and become successful at turkey hunting, but truth be told, the areas we know of where turkeys are around home are all becoming developed. I have property in WV that has SOME turkeys on it, but not often enough to warrant hunting...
Old 04-21-2003, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: My first turkey (jake)!

Congratulations. You are younger than me by 7 years when I got my first and it was still a thrill to me. I have to say that shooting my first turkey was still more exciting than shooting one I called in (just seeing that first one in full strut took my breath away).
Old 04-21-2003, 06:58 AM

Congrats to ya !!!
Old 04-21-2003, 07:37 AM

Congrats! Sounds like a real experience!
Old 04-21-2003, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on your first bird!! Exciting stuff huh?![:-]
Old 04-21-2003, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I had more places to go, I could get really hooked on it! It is an awesome way to have hunting excitement outside of deer season! I could see enjoying turkey hunting even more, if that' s possible.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow thanks for sharing! And before I forget allow me to give a salute to your friend. I admire him for giving back to the sport by sharing his enthusiasm with you.

Keep up the good work! Congratulations!!!
Old 04-21-2003, 05:48 PM

Congrats on your 1st, the first one will always hold a special place no matter how many more you take
Old 04-21-2003, 06:35 PM

Congrats Doug! Now You' ve gone and done it! You' re hooked!Man, I can remember my first tom like it was yesterday! And that was 30 years ago! You' ll never forget the day!
Old 04-21-2003, 06:35 PM

Congrats

Quick Reply: My first turkey (jake)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.