Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mississippi public land turkeys

Old 02-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Spike

Default Mississippi public land turkeys

Planning on turkey hunting in the Holly Springs NF. Can't get a lot of info was hoping I could get some help on here. Would like to know if this is a good place or if I need to look at Delta NF or some other location, I would like to stay around Holly Springs area but would travel to Delta if it is alot better. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:18 AM
Spike

Default RE: Mississippi public land turkeys

holly springs has lots of birds --- i hunt it alot during deer and turkey seasons----know the land north of hwy 370 to the tn stateline and east of hwy 5 to hwy 15 --- Ashland, Ms is in the sw corner of the area / walnut ne corner--- lots of hunters but there are spots in this area that are not hunted to hard -- I do my best in the mid morn to dark times --- most hunt the run and gun way -- me, tent and or make shift blind, move very little,little calling (soft every 15 min or so and lots of scratching -- use different types of calls -- birds are pressured and very nervous -- hill birds and 20 lbs is great --
anymore questions? I'll be happy to help!

Old 02-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Spike

Thanks, Is there much camping in the area? I am sure I will have more questions as the time gets closer.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:36 AM
Spike

Primitive camping is allowed anywhere on the national forrest unless posted otherwise.
In the area that we hunt (area that was described earlier), there is a state park, Tippah County Lake, just north of Ripley, Ms that has electric and runnning water. You can be on the forrest land in about :10 or :15. Just outside of the entrance to Tippah Lake, there is a sand/gravel road that turns left (west) that will take you to the forrest property.
Head Norht of Ripley to a town called Faulkner (hwy 15)--- left (west) on hwy 370--- 7-10 miles and the forrest should begin and just about every road off 370 will be forrest or lead you to it.
The bounderies of the forrest are identified with small yellow national forrest signs and also with red paint that is located on the trees. If the boundary crosses a road, you will see the signs at the point of crossing, but if the forrest boundary runs along the road, you will see the signs along that side of the road.
You can call the Oxford office, and they will send you a map for just a small amount of $. Warning -- the map shows the area in which the forrest exist, but there is patchy spots of private land inside these. You just need to cover ground or let someone show you around.
any more questions ---- I'll be glad to help.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quit pullin his leg, Twoshot! You know as well as I do that Mississippi ain't got any birds.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Spike

where R u from?
me-corinth
good 2 hear from a mississippian
Old 02-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brandon. Used to hunt Holly Springs, though. Pretty country up there!