Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tough opening week in Washington State

Old 04-19-2003, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tough opening week in Washington State

Wet, damp, rainy weather made for tough hunting this week. This hunter got skunked and any hunters who bagged a bird during opening week should feel very fortunate. The toms were not gobbling and/or not reponding to calls. Many hunters believed that the mating between the toms and hens hasn' t really heated up yet because it is still wet and cold. Just an FYI for you guys.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:31 PM

Default RE: Tough opening week in Washington State

Yep it was a tuff first week although I did hear two birds gobble one opening day and one this morning, but like you said no response at all to calling. I think they' re still really henned up or somethin. Both gobbled twice and then completeley shutup. wouldnt answer a turkey call at all oh well. Also there is more people than ever. I think the state should implement a turkey school you have to pass to be in the turkey woods(like they do for trapping), these uneducated hunters are making REAL educated birds. There are some people around this year that are really screwing up my hunting. But oh well I' ll keep trying
Old 04-19-2003, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

This week of hunting was terrible i only heard total of 10 gobbles and saw a few birds
Old 04-20-2003, 01:22 AM
Typical Buck

I have yet to hear a bird gobble on the west side this season. I went out yesterday afternoon, and bumped a lone hen at 5pm. She was in the same spot by herself again this morning at 9am. I bumped a gobbler while leaving the truck in another spot. Then bumped 2 hens from a farmer' s field this evening that I never saw until they were airborn. These birds have got to start talking so I' ll quit scaring them. Oh well, I' ve seen 4 birds today. I' ve hunted the west side for 3 years now, and these are the 1st birds I' ve seen while hunting. It' s tough hunting these jungle birds when they don' t talk, especially for a Mississippi boy. It' s gotta get better. And yes Bigsmooth35, they gotta do something about the idiots. I know everywhere has them, but we' ve got way more than our fair share.