Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

fan preservation?

Old 04-17-2003, 12:10 PM

Default fan preservation?

I busted my first turkey a couple of days ago and I was wondering how to dry out the tail. I plan on mounting the fan and I want to prevent any rotting. So far I have just kept salt on the meat. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: fan preservation?

You' ll want to scrape away whatever meat you can. Then coat the exposed parts in borax. You should be able to get it at a KMart or Walmart. It is a lundry detergent. It' ll cure the fan and, unlke salt, mice can' t stand it.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Borax cured tisseu won' t absorb moisture out of the air like a salted skin will.
This may not be much of an issue where you live.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Well my neighbor to the north (I' m from Lufkin) Borax is the way to go. Pin the tail to a piece of carboard fanned out like you want it, put Borax on the fleshy part and let it dry in an out of the way place for two or three weeks.
Then mount it with a kit.
I killed my birds in Nac. Co. One last season and one this season. Where do you hunt?
Old 04-17-2003, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the replies. Looks like Borax is the way to go. TF, I hunt in the Angelina National Forest down around Zavalla. That' s the only place I have heard of that had a good population of turkeys. Where in Nac do you hunt? This was my first bird (Jake), so I wasn' t too picky about the age/maturity of the gobbler. Just had to make sure it was a gobbler. Thanks for all of the help guys.