Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Choke and Load ?????

Old 02-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default Choke and Load ?????

I want to do some turkey hunting this year and want your opinions and thoughts on a load and choke for my Baretta AL391 Urika (3 inch). Does anyone have any first hand experience with this gun for turkey hunting? What size shot do you guys like best (4, 5, or 6)? I know that each gun is different but I want some info. to get me in the ball park. What aftermarket choke do you guys prefer? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Choke and Load ?????

I shoot plain old Win Super X 3" #5 from a standard full choke Mossberg 500. Works great to 35 yds.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer Indian Creek chokes with Hevi-13 3" 2oz #6's. It is a combination that has proven effective in quite a few different guns.
I have never used a Beretta AL3914 for turkey hunting.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure if Indian Creek makes a choke for your shotgun model, if they do you may want to purchase one. I love that choke for my Mossberg 835, using HeviShot-13, 3.5", 2-1/4oz. #5
Old 02-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

It took me a long while and probably well over a thousand dollars to come to this conclusion:

If you plan on hunting turkeys (which involves getting them in close.... like inside of 40 yards close), it doesn't take much more than a modified choke tube with just about anyhigh brass 6, 5 or 4 shellto get it done.

I don't even want to contemplate how many countless dollars I've spent on high density shells, choke tubes, driving miles, and just time.

I put together an 835 grandslam with a Pure Gold choke tube about five years agoand as of last year when I kinda saw the light and went back the other way,it would put over 200 pellets of #6 shot in a 10" circle at 40 yards. Ain't many guns that aren't using #7 straight up or #7 triplex loads doing that.

That said... why? Why when I turkey hunt for the sole purpose of trying to convince a turkey to come and jump on my shoulder by his own accord would I want a pattern designed for killing them at such an impersonal distance? I guess I just got over needing to have a 'turkey rifle', so to speak.

The bird I shot last year, after calling three or four in for other folks, I shot at 30 yards (still not exactly close, but he walked by me at 12 yards to the decoy.... so I was asleep in the sun at 530 in the afternoon... sue me)with my Beretta 390 Silver Mallard (my duck gun) anda Jellyhead choke tube. I used plain old Copper Plated 6s and that bird went down like a French Prize Fighter.

This year, I've got a new set up. I got a turkey barrel for my Encore, and I'll probably shoot an extended mod or IM briley choke and either lead #6 or Hevi-13 #5s just because I have a lot of them laying around.

But heck, I'm still thinking about using my 20 gauge Beretta.... I'm torn.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

I use a 870 super mag with a kicks gobblin thunder with Winchester #5
Old 02-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Swampcollie has an excellent point..If the bird is close enough, loads and dense choke tubes are not so critical...

Personally, I prefer to shoot my birds on the near side of 40 yards, so I have not spent a lot of time trying to work up a super long range combo of load and choke tube...I want a pattern that will give enough pellet coverage to kill a bird EVERY TIME at 40 yards or perhaps a few steps further if my range estimation is off... I'd prefer not to have a super small pattern that is hard to hit with if a bird gets close enough so that I can smell grasshoppers on his breath before I get the chance to kill him.....

FWIW, I shoot a Rem 11-87 in 3" mag with a Kick's Gobblin' Thunder .665 tube... I prefer 2 oz. loads of buffered, copper plated shot, either Federal Premium or Win XX magnums... This combo patterns well enough with either 4 ,5 or 6 shot to cleanly kill turkeys out to around 45 yards...