Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

A few questions for the Turkey experts...

Old 02-06-2009, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A few questions for the Turkey experts...

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

- What size shot do you prefer in your shells and what length?
If you want to shoot distance, than you are probably going to want #6 or #5 hevi-shot/hevi-13/or some high density type shot.

If you are going to keep it close (keep it real) then it honestly doesn't matter, get something affordable in 4, 5 or 6 that throws a nice even pattern and whack'em.

- What's your favorite turkey vest?
I use a Mossy Oak Bob Dixon. They don't make them anymore. They modeled the limbhanger after them but the limbhanger isn't even close to what the dixon is. Personally, I like the Super Elite line in a quality mass produced vest. Just make sure it has a nice thick cushion and enough room to tote keys, bug spray, a few calls and lunch (especially water!!!)

- What kind of scope do you prefer? Fixed, variable power, red-dot...(For those of you that use scopes)
I used a Nikon Pro-Staff 2-7x32 on 'the turkey rifle', but I have since just gone back to a bead or rifled sights. The scope helped when I was shooting the 835 because I like to shoot birds close, and at 30 yards my pattern was about the size of a volleyball.

- What kind of decoy set-up do you prefer? (For those of you that use decoys)
The one that works best. I use a Widowmaker, and in certain situations and especially during the early season when the hens aren't quite ready and the gobblers are just starting to break up out of groups, I like to use full strutt decoys. I have a B Mobile that I doctored the head up on. I like him because he is fairly small... big enough to be seen... and small enough to make even a bold two year old come in and take him on.

- Do you prefer blind hunting or still hunting?
A little of both. I like to have a plan and I like to hunt that plan through. I usually try to have a general idea of where I'm going to intercept a bird. If I am bow hunting, of course I use a ground blind. Generally, I get antsy around 9am and I'll do a little walking and talking. You just have to let the situation dictate. 'Run and Gun' or more appropriately "Run and Bump" hunting works in open areas with hills, you just have to be careful and understand ahead of time that you are going to screw up a lot more birds than you kill. Basically you are looking for hot birds.

- At what distance should I pattern my shotgun?
I like to start at 30 yards. I know that departs from the 40 yard theory, but at 30 you can get a much cleaner picture of what is really going on. If the pattern is blown at 30... it will be more blown at 40. I take three or four of my best shooters at 30 and shoot them at 40 and even out to 50 just to see what they are made of. I also shoot them at 20.... because trust me, there is such a thing as too tight.... every turkey I have ever missed has been inside of 15 yards.

- For those of you using Remington Wing Master HD in a Remington shotgun, what choke patterns the best for you?
I've never shot Wingmaster, but most HD and high denstiy chokes require slightly more open constrictions than lead. Just make sure that the choke you use is approved for hevi-shot and you should be just fine.

I'll be hunting with a Remington 11-87 Super-Mag Sportsman. I would rather have some other kind of aiming device other than the vent-rib and the bead on the front for more accuracy.
So go ahead and put one on.