Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

my first turkey hunt was busted by a jake

Old 04-12-2003, 01:19 PM

Default my first turkey hunt was busted by a jake

well season opened this morning and i made the hour drive to the property that i hunt on, got held up a little bit so i got there right at daybreak. because it was a little light i left my decoy in the truck. i set up on the bottom of a huge field that has a fresh crop of soy beans coming up. i figured this would be as good a place as any since i' m not an experience turkey hunter. i hear everyone talking about all the gobblin and cacklin that goes on in the morning but i did not hear jack squat!! in fact it was gettin a little past eight and i was thinkin about going to a different place, but i remember the " last advice" that yall gave me was to stay put. so i did. when i turned back around to look into the field there was a flock that seemed to just appear. there was seven hens and two big gobblers, man i was gettin excited. they were probably 150yards out but headed to my end, so i started a little yelpin and cluckin to get their attention and ease them over my way. they had cut the distance between us in half and were still movin. i was still callin and all was going to be a great day until! i heard something fly to a spot nearby. it was real close!! a jake had come up from the creek bottom behind me and had flown into the tree that i was sittin against. he was about twenty feet directly above me. do i shoot or what do i do? what would you do and then i will tell you what i did and how it turned out?
well i didn' t shoot. i was hoping that he would fly down into the field and either join the flock as they mosied my way or draw the toms out of the flock and closer to me. well neither happened. i couldn' t continue to call to the flock because he was watchin me and i didn' t want to spook him and all the others. so with this situation i had to watch the two biguns and the hens wonder in the woods just on the other side of the field about 60yards away. but i still had the hopes of callin them back when he left but he stayed for about 30mins. i couldn' t get a shot at his head because of his body so finally he floated into the field fanned his tail out and then flew off. i was going to lay him out while he was in the field but he stayed for a whole 10 secs.
oh well! not a bad adventure for my first time, but i would have liked for it to ended with a different storyline. i did learn somethings while watchin and i know that he will always be there for another day. BUT that could' ve been my first bird on my first hunt. oh well! at least i had the chance to be out there and see somethin!![X(]
Old 04-12-2003, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: my first turkey hunt was busted by a jake

sound slike you had an awesome first hunt...the first 2 years i hunted i didnt even see a gobbler during season, the 3rd year, i did, but never got a shot.....then finaly the 4th year i got my first,my sister caled it in then the next day i got one for my sister, then the following fri, i got another,by myself.......and when i say i hunted, i mean i hunted, at least 3 days a week , every week........i have hunted at 10 days so far out of this season, this was my last quoata hunt weekend, i was starting to stress, but God blessed me with anpother, my 3rd bird today you' ll get yours, probably alot sooner than i did youre getting more action your first day than i did my first 2 years .....keep your head up............enjoy it
Old 04-12-2003, 08:39 PM

Congrats on a fine hunt.
If only your decoy was out in front of you, he may have gave you an oppourtunity.
Better luck next time.
Old 04-13-2003, 09:52 PM

if i called him in that easy on opening day how do you think that he will come in as easy next time? i am the only one hunting the land so i am the only hunting pressure. are jakes easier to call in than the longbeards?