Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need your thoughts

Old 01-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need your thoughts

Hey still bow huntin here in SW MO. I was sitting in my stand tonight, and had 5 BIG long beards come to me. I had my bow in hand and release nocked, just sittin still until the right time to draw. Well they saw me, did an alarm putt, turned around and walked off. So I was thinking I would put a blind up in about the same place and try again tomorrow. I think they'll probably be back because they didn't seem to spook to bad. What do you guys think?
Old 01-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need your thoughts

I imagine that as long as that is a place they normally go to they will be back tomorrow.....I have finished the deal that way more than twice.
Good luck!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

As hurricane said, if that is a place they like to hang around, whether to strut or feed or dust themselves, etc., then most likely they will return. Be sure to post up some pics when you get one. Good luck
Old 01-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never hurts to try. Could turn out to be good.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Id go for it...
Old 01-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try it !
Old 01-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

opening morning of our fall season this year a group came through...long story short i over estimated the range by 7yds and hit exactly where i was aiming...with my 20yd pin...which was just at the top edge of her back...blew some feathers...but that was it...they bolted...they busted me drawing and mom was being mom and stopped to wait for the young of the year to catch up when i sent one her way....

that evening, same stand, i dont think i left, if i did it was a quick lunch... but they ended up coming back...same group...mom was fine...i couldnt get a shot...they stayed out at 30ish yards and my woods are kinda thick past about 20 in that setup...never did get another shot...the next weekend was NASTY weather and the birds never left the roost, if they did they didnt move very far from it...then either that day or another day, small game hunters moved through and i believe shot at the flock...dont know if they hit any or killed any...but i didnt see or hear them again...

colllld snowy weather moved in and bow season closed...i went out in the snow and found a flock of 30+ birds and took a big hen with the ole shotgun just down the hill from my archery setup...once they flock up around here they can be harder to pattern..seems they gotta move around alot for food opposed to the small group i seen pretty much daily every time i bowhunted that setup this year....only like 7 or 8 in that group
Old 01-16-2009, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

It can't hurt to try. Sometimes they roost the same areas night after night, and sometimes they don't. I guess it depends on how badly they are spooked, and which areas they visited throughout the day. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

I agree! Opening day of spring turkey season last year, I took a friend for his first turkey hunt. I called in 2 gobblers within 22 steps. He shot and killed a tree. I went that afternoon by myself and set up my blind around 2 p.m.at the exact spot we was that morning. At 6:15 p.m. I killed a gobbler. I left the blind there and went back to it the next Saturday, and killed to gobblers at that spot.

dog1
Old 01-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

Well thanx for your thoughts, but it didn't work. It was a big hardwood stand, and the followng day was real windy. Probably stuck to the fields. The next day was better but still didn't see them. That's how the mop flops sometimes. Thanx a lot!

Quick Reply: Need your thoughts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.