Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Nitro is good for you!

Old 04-09-2003, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Nitro is good for you!

I just read MK-M-GOBL' s post about being disappointed in his gun, and will say I have felt the same about my 870. Until I did the Nitro deed. I called them last week and spoke to a lady on the phone, after she consulted with some gentlemen in the background, they recommended I try the Economy 4cx5cx7hevi 2 1/4oz load with my Ventilator choke.
Went to the range today, and immediately put a target at 40yds. Tried my Tru-Glo first, and it did so-so, no better than my previous #6 Rem. Hevi load. Than I screwed in the Ventilator choke....whoa momma. I only shot 2 rounds of this expensive stuff at 40, and I averaged 35 hits in the head/neck of my primos target. I lost count of how many were in the 10" circle I sketched on the target. Then just for kicks, I plugged one at 25 yds. I didn' t even try to count the pellets. I did notice that this stuff puts noticably more recoil to your shoulder! Yeow! So needless to say, I' m happy, my gun is happy, and hopefully some turkey will be hatin' life when PA' s season starts.
Mikey
Old 04-09-2003, 10:25 PM

Default RE: Nitro is good for you!

They are a turkey/shoulder killin load aren' t they.I shot my Mossberg 500 with a standard xx full(.670) and between 40&45 yds. I had 26 pellets in the spine alone and 20 yds I better be dead on cuz it' s like shootin a big bore rifle.WOW
Old 04-10-2003, 04:52 AM

Hey Trapper T i shoot a mossberg 500 also with 3 inch..Mine kicks realll hard to..I wounder why they kick soo hard??[:-]
Old 04-10-2003, 06:07 AM

I think its the design of the stock and that ,well they aren' t the best made gun out there.But they do get the job done.Is it just slamming your shoulder? I' m a fairly big guy and I know it tends to pop me in the cheek and gives me a headache after about ten rounds.My Father-inlaw is even bigger and he had an old Mossberg made for the Coast to Coast stores and it did the same thing so he gave it to me. If thats where its gatting you too,I don' t know if there' s a way to fix that.With all the years of hunting experience with everyone in here,someone else might know.The other thing,I know it' s getting long but I bought a Beartooth neoprene recoil pad,they come with about 6 or 8 pieces of sturdy foam that you stick inside and adjust for eye relief and pain relief.I like it ,seems to work pretty well.Hope this helps Perry
Old 04-10-2003, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

My neighbor just bought a Moss. 500 this year, and the first day he patterned it, it looked like he got popped in the cheek with a set of brass knuckles. It was black and blue teh next day. He only shot 10 shells from a sitting(on the ground) position.
The following week, we went shooting again, this time I wanted to try his gun. But I fired it from a bench, on sandbags, with a sandbag over my shoulder. It never even nicked my cheek. He then tried it, and it didn' t his cheek either. So maybe you guys can try that while pattern testing your gun? His gun also has the factory ported barrel, and honestly, I didn' t notice any differnece between my 870 and his gun as far as felt recoil goes.
The stock design is part of it, his Moss. seems to be a bit low, almost making you peek up off the stock to sight down the barrel. I never had that problem with my 870. I even added a scope this year, but, I replaced the rear butt stock with a raised comb stock, to align my eye witht the scope. Haven' t been hit in the cheek yet with it that way either.
Mikey
Old 04-10-2003, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

That Nitro is awesome isn' t it!! I also use a Mossberg 500 w/ their own xx-full choke, 3" . I was getting 35 pellets in the head @40yds with the 301a load 4x5x7' s.
Before that best I could do was 9-12 pellets in the head @25yds w/ anything for loads.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:28 AM

well maybe the nitro is the only load for the 500' s because i shoot a 500 but not hte nitros (yet) and at 35yds i feel good if i get 10 -15 pellets in the kill zone. i have tried the undertaker choke and currently have the stardot choke rom walmart. it does better than any of the other ones i tried. how do those nitros shoot through a standard choke like that. i mean one that is not put out by say mossberg? same result? by the way when sitting on the ground and shootin a few rounds of my winchester #6 hv' s i get put on by back every shot. i guess it just takes a man to shoot a mossberg. ha ha
Old 04-10-2003, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

Click, if you can afford it, give the Nitro a call. I got the Economy load, and from what they told me, it would do better in my Ventilator choke(.655) than it would in my Tru-Glo(.665). I don' t know what the constriction is on your chokes, but it seems to me, at least, the .655 constriction works pretty good with the Economy load. My neighbor has a Hastingschoke in his Moss, not sure of the number though. His shoots pretty good with Fed. #5, 1 17/8oz I believe.

You got put on your back? Man, I' d hate to have a tree behind me!
Old 04-10-2003, 03:20 PM

The major reason that Nitro duplex loads do good with tighter chokes is because the shell is comprised mainly of #7 or #7.5 shot. Small shot, tight constrictions, equals tight patterns. It' s elementary really.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:00 PM

Mikey, I think your right about having to raise up to sight correctly. I' ll try your suggestion next time,though I' ve learned to deal with it.YOu only feel it when target shooting, like every one knows you never " feel" the kick when an animals in the sights.