Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Kansas Help

Old 12-24-2008, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default Kansas Help

Starting to plan a trip for spring 09 South Dakota and Wyoming. Would like to stop in Kansas and see if we could get my wife a Rio. Anyone have any info on Kansas public hunting for Rio's.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Kansas Help

Here in kansas we have thousands of acres of walk in ground. Most land owners will let you hunt there ground as well unless they feed them or like them. You can also hunt the river as well but that wont help you much because you need to have permission to hunt the ground around the river. Good Luck.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:56 PM

The ground is every where you just have to find it, find a sporting goods store and pick up one of the WIHA ground books.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

the lake around Independence has alot of public land. they have alot of rio-eastern hybrids. also big hill near cherryvale---is pretty good.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

Kansas is a absolute blast to hunt.. i hunted there last spring an killed my 2 birds in 4 days an could of killed them sooner.. i killed a huge rio with 2 ten inch bears an both spurs were inch an half an he weighed 26 pounds he was a hog. but anyway there is alot of good public land to hunt. good luck
Old 12-26-2008, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info. I'll do some more checking.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

I too will be hunting turkey in KS for the first time this year (the non-resident tag in MO is just too damn expensive anymore) and will be utilizing public WIHA. I just hope to god it isn't too crowded (I'm used to hunting private land in MO). One thing I really like about KS turkey season is the week-long archery season. That will be a good reason to get out and do some scouting and find some roosts on unfamiliar land even if I probably won't arrow one (but you never know ).