Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Gun Patterning

Old 12-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Gun Patterning

I plan on patterning my Winchester 1300 once we get some decent weather here in Maryland. I will be trying severaldifferent shells and also testing the Primos Tightwad choke, and the Winchokeextra fullthat came with the gun. I will pattern at 20, 30 and 40 yards. What methods do you guys use to pattern your guns? What would you consider an acceptable pattern?
Old 12-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gun Patterning

I put some comments in your other post but I'll add here. This is what I focus on:

-I use those turkey targets to aim at but the first thing I do when I go look at it is turn the paper over. I really don't do the thing where you count the number of pellets in the neck and head. A turkeys head will not be in that exact spot and position each time you shoot so you want to focus on getting a consistent and even pattern across a given area.

I use the 10 inch circle. I only focus on what goes on with the pellets across this round area. If I can consistently get a good pattern i.e. dense and even, then I am happy I can kill a turkey if his head is anywhere in this 10 inch area.

Here's what I like to see:

Notice no turkey picture. That is 81/2 by 11 sheet. I challenge you to find a spot on that sheet where a turkeys head could go that doesn't end up with a pile of pellets in it.

Now you can sit there and count the pellets but really would you have to? Ultimtaley you would have different pellet counts depending on whether you use #4,5,6, or 7 if legal. Now I DO count to see what percentage I am getting in there. I like to see at least 100 of my 3 inch #6 shell pellets. Thing is if they are not consistently patterning evenly I don't care how many I get.

Consistency requires care. I polish my barrel and will clean it after every couple shots. I know use a bore snake whihc is great and convenient. Also take care to let your barrel cool if your doing lots of shooting. It takes a few sessions to truly start to get to know what is best for your gun. You spend countlesss hours hunting those darn birds so don't rush this process.

With 2 chokes and 2 different kinds of shells your at it for awhile shooting each at 3 different distances. Keep your targets and record evertyhing down on them. Before you know it you'll be staring at a dozen different patterns and you'll need to know which is which.

If I am setting it up for the first time I will also use a target load to just bore sight it. That will save you some of your more expensive turkey loads for the real patterning. If I think I need 2 boxes I get three. I like to have the same batch for my hunt that I patterned with.

I have purchased a few custom chokes but if money is an issue I might suggest the HS Undertaker. This is a mass market choke for very low cost that has seemed to be a good performer in a lot of cases I have noticed. That would give you one more combo to play with. Your going to be busy........
Old 12-19-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

When using a turkey head target, my personal benchmark is at least 20hits in the head/neck as anacceptable pattern. And, I'm also a fan of the Undertaker choke tube.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wish it was that easy for me. Working up a load for a double barrel smoke pole is a bit more involved.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:35 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Adrian Hare - well known Quaker Boy Rep - has a video out and he explains patterning while giving you step by step instructions on his video. Besides that it has many many fine turkey hunting tips - is not your typical watch me kill a turkey video and is well worth it.

I am like Wingbone but I only count 12 or more pellet hits in the vertebrae, juglar vein or skull and disregard all hits in the fleshy part of the neck. Using this will determine the maximum you should take a shot.

The other thing I do since I use fixed sights is make sure the bottom center of my pattern is right on the flesh/feather region of the neck. This gives me a consistent target where to sight in. That way I know the dead center of my pattern is at the dead center of the neck and the top center of my pattern covers the skull. I don't guess when I pull that trigger. If I place my sights on the very edge where the feathers stop and the skin starts on the bottom of the neck I know I am going to whack and kill this bird.

JW

PS - I took this down but here is a link to my target.

http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/birds/turkey/target.htm
Old 12-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get you some contractors paper. Put a small dot in the center for an aiming point, and set it up at the distance you want to shoot. Shoot, and see where the pattern hits. Once you determine where the densest portion of your pattern is adjust your sights accordingly.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: OntElk

I put some comments in your other post but I'll add here. This is what I focus on:

-I use those turkey targets to aim at but the first thing I do when I go look at it is turn the paper over. I really don't do the thing where you count the number of pellets in the neck and head. A turkeys head will not be in that exact spot and position each time you shoot so you want to focus on getting a consistent and even pattern across a given area.

I use the 10 inch circle. I only focus on what goes on with the pellets across this round area. If I can consistently get a good pattern i.e. dense and even, then I am happy I can kill a turkey if his head is anywhere in this 10 inch area.

Here's what I like to see:

Notice no turkey picture. That is 81/2 by 11 sheet. I challenge you to find a spot on that sheet where a turkeys head could go that doesn't end up with a pile of pellets in it.

Now you can sit there and count the pellets but really would you have to? Ultimtaley you would have different pellet counts depending on whether you use #4,5,6, or 7 if legal. Now I DO count to see what percentage I am getting in there. I like to see at least 100 of my 3 inch #6 shell pellets. Thing is if they are not consistently patterning evenly I don't care how many I get.

Consistency requires care. I polish my barrel and will clean it after every couple shots. I know use a bore snake whihc is great and convenient. Also take care to let your barrel cool if your doing lots of shooting. It takes a few sessions to truly start to get to know what is best for your gun. You spend countlesss hours hunting those darn birds so don't rush this process.

With 2 chokes and 2 different kinds of shells your at it for awhile shooting each at 3 different distances. Keep your targets and record evertyhing down on them. Before you know it you'll be staring at a dozen different patterns and you'll need to know which is which.

If I am setting it up for the first time I will also use a target load to just bore sight it. That will save you some of your more expensive turkey loads for the real patterning. If I think I need 2 boxes I get three. I like to have the same batch for my hunt that I patterned with.

I have purchased a few custom chokes but if money is an issue I might suggest the HS Undertaker. This is a mass market choke for very low cost that has seemed to be a good performer in a lot of cases I have noticed. That would give you one more combo to play with. Your going to be busy........
How do you go about polishing a barrel? I know how to properly clean a gun, but I don't think thats what you are referring to when you say to polish a barrel. Thanks!!
Old 12-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

After having spent more money on shells and chokes that I care to admit to, I'll give you some advice that I wish someone had given me: Go onhttp://www.nitrocompany.comand see what type of shell and choke they recommend for your type of gun and get them! Trust me when I say this! It'll be cheaper in the long run if you do and you'll be getting a shell that's second to none.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Simp

After having spent more money on shells and chokes that I care to admit to, I'll give you some advice that I wish someone had given me: Go onhttp://www.nitrocompany.comand see what type of shell and choke they recommend for your type of gun and get them! Trust me when I say this! It'll be cheaper in the long run if you do and you'll be getting a shell that's second to none.
I have actually heard alot about their shells on other forums and have recently sent them an email asking what they reccomend for my setup. Still waiting to here back from them. I believe you are right, from what I have heard, that their shells will most likely be the best patterning shells out of my gun so why waste money testing other brands. I have begun leaning in the direction of purchasing their shells. I will wait to see what they reccomend for my setup first.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

peck1524; Here is the reccomendation from Nitro you are looking for;

Winchesters - All Models (12ga. 3")
Regular Turkey Loads With A .650 2" Extended Rhino Choke
301A #4x5x7.5 Copper 145-170 pellets
Economy Turkey Load With A .650 2" Extended Rhino Choke
301A #4copper x 5copper x 7hevishot® 180-200 pellets
Hevishot® Turkey Load With A .660 2" Extended Rhino Choke
or a Primos Jelly Head .660 Choke
H378i #4x5x7 or #2x5x7 Hevishot® 170-200 pellets
Buckshot Load With A .660 2" Extended Rhino Choke
B301 #00 Buck - All 18 in a 24" circle at 50 yards

Sorry it is so large...I copied it directly from their website which is here;
http://www.nitrocompany.com/pattern.htm

Quick Reply: Gun Patterning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.