Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Raspy Calls?

Old 12-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default Raspy Calls?

Just curious about this. I've always preferred a higher pitched call because they just carry farther and to me sound more realistic. Raspy calls sometimes sound more like growling than yelping, does anybody prefer a raspier call for certain situations?
Old 12-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Raspy Calls?

I prefer a raspy call for all situations. If I'm yelping I want it raspy. Seems like where I hunt, (So.IL.&So.IN.) any hen that is over a couple years old is raspy. Matter of fact, there is a hen on the our farm that is so raspy she sounds like a Canadian Goose. It's quite comical. The gobblers love the raspy hens where I'm at.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the time i like to use a raspy call. The reason is that most of the hens i have heard in my woods have a raspy call. Dont know why that but it is.Im always trying to sound like the hens so i use a raspy call.

Wayne
Old 12-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Seems like the gobblers here where I'm at don't gobble as much at raspy yelps...don't get me wrong, there's days thats all that will work but more often than not they prefer higher pitched calls. Easterns have always been real picky birds anyway.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: StruttinGobbler3

Seems like the gobblers here where I'm at don't gobble as much at raspy yelps...don't get me wrong, there's days thats all that will work but more often than not they prefer higher pitched calls. Easterns have always been real picky birds anyway.
Ive always heard the Merriams prefer the highest pitch possible..raspyness won't fly out there...But then again, I've heard at times they would practically come in ona string to "here turkey turkey turkey..." Who knows what to believe when you read it online.[&:]
Old 12-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

This bringsa question. Does the geographic location determine whether or not the Eastern species prefers the raspy or high pitched yelps of the hen? I only say Eastern species because that is the only species I get to hunt.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Typical Buck

I don't have a clue [&:]
Old 12-18-2008, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use both and just see which one they want to talk to. Most of the time they prefer a raspy call. If I am calling to another hen I will use a higher pitched call to sound like a young hen.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:31 AM
JW
Super Moderator

All I have is Raspy calls as I don't loke High pitched and to me they are too squeaky.

But I several tone variations of Raspy some a bit more softer than others.

What I try to match for tone is what I hear on those Real voices of turkeys CDs and what I hear in the wild. I do have a knack for matching tone for tone any ole hen I can get to sound off.

JW
Old 12-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

I've hear what Trevor has heard. You want high out west.

Here in IL, I take both with me. Raspy sounds good to me!

Quick Reply: Raspy Calls?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.