Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Got my first!! PIC

Old 04-05-2003, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Got my first!! PIC

Hey, all.... After three seasons, I finally got my first turkey this morning at 5:50 AM! It was an awesome hunt. I tried several times on the way into the woods to get a shock gobble, but I got nothing. I set up my blind at 5:00 AM and tree yelped at first light and I got a reply from another hen immediately. I called a couple more times and the hen answered every time, getting closer. When I could finally see her, I saw there were two of them. I stopped calling and froze, but they came right up to my feet. I could have touched them with my gun barrel. They eyeballed me for a couple of minutes and finally wandered off. Based on past experience I figured that was about all the luck I was going to have, but I thought I' d try to see if I could get them to come back just for fun...I yelped and was surpised to hear a loud cluck to my left, the direction the hens had come from. The clucking got louder and more " urgent" sounding and was getting closer so I dropped my slate and drew a bead on the spot the clucking was coming from. This jake never gobbled once, but he came running up to the edge of the clearing looking for that hen! He stopped short of the clearing, about 15 yards back in the woods and looked all over for the hen. Finally, he stepped to the left and I had a clear shot between some tree trunks. I took him at about 30 yards. Whoo hooo! Now I' ve got the monkey off my back and I can concentrate on a trophy gobbler.
Good luck to all of you, too.
SC

Old 04-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got my first!! PIC

Congrats on your first turkey.

I will never forget my first bird. A jake also...
Old 04-05-2003, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

congrats SCRIDER let' s see the next one
Old 04-05-2003, 05:59 PM

congrats on your bird! i hope to get my first next weekend when we get started. i was wondering if you were using any decoys and if not do you think they would have made any difference?
Old 04-05-2003, 06:05 PM

congrats. on your first bird.that is always the hardest one.
now you can take it easy.
" You Done Did Good"
Old 04-05-2003, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Click-- no, I was not using any decoys. It might have helped to bring him all the way into the clearing if I had been, but no way to know for sure.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:46 PM

Congrats on the first one!!
Old 04-05-2003, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on your first bird[:-].
Old 04-05-2003, 07:44 PM

congrats

slayer
Old 04-05-2003, 07:59 PM

CONGRATS ON THE BIRD AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.