Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Choice of Gun for Beginners

Old 04-04-2003, 01:18 PM

Default Choice of Gun for Beginners

For those of you new to turkey hunting like I was this year and are considering buying a new shotgun for your hunt, try different types of ammunition and loads for your old gun before you spend the big dollars for this short season. (Assuming of course you already have a shotgun). I have a Model 1100 and it has a 28" vented barrel with a full choke and shoots 2 3/4" shells.
I, like many new to the sport, thought at first I needed to buy one of those fancy shotguns with a shorter barrel, mossy oak camo and shoots 3 1/2" shells. When I started to price them, I regrouped and decided to see if my shotgun would be proficient. I tried many types of ammunition and loads and found one ammunition that patterned very well out to 45 yards. I never thought I would find the right combination for my gun.
Be patient and persistant to try and make what you have work, it will save you a lot of money.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Choice of Gun for Beginners

That' s execelent advice! BUT... After a new turkey hunter gets there first gobbler,it' s off to the gunshop for that " special" shotgun just for turkeys...
Old 04-06-2003, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

If you decide to go with a new shotgun or new to you I prefer the 3 in over the 3 1/2 and a semi-auto because the action takes up some recoil
Old 04-06-2003, 10:55 AM

I agree with both of you. Once you get the first bird, you want to have the latest gun to do that with. But it was gratifying to take the first turkey with my 1100 that I have owned for 25 years.

I also believe that a 3" is more than enough to kill a turkey. I also like the automatic for that reason, but it is heavier and harder to lug around the woods.

I also have a 3" 20 guage 11-87 that I patterned before the start of the season and have found it to have a good pattern also.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

ya know, you can get a Remington 870 in 3-1/2" for a relativly low price, Because what will happen when you get your first turkey or even worse mis your first turkey you are going to want to go right out and buy a new big 3-1/2" mag. You can always shoot 3" mag. out of a 870 super mag. but not shoot a 3-1/2" mag out of a standard 870. You only feel the recoil when your sighting in the gun and god willing, you only have to do that once.
Good luck!!!