Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Head home after 10:00 a.m.?

Old 03-30-2003, 05:45 AM

Default Head home after 10:00 a.m.?

How many of you hunt after 10:00 a.m.? I' ve been told by many a hunter that after this time you can pack up and head to the house because your chances of seeing turkeys greatly diminishes. Also, what about hunting in the late afternoon? Do you use the same approach as when hunting in the morning? Do you locate the roostes and then try and call them one last time before they head up in the trees?
Old 03-30-2003, 06:54 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-30-2003, 07:12 AM

Default RE: Head home after 10:00 a.m.?

Ditto to foofighter!

Especially later in the season when hens are going to nest. Best chance of getting that old tom that just ignored you earlier in the season.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve taken alot of gobblers after 10:00.If one gobbles later in the mornin more times than not you' ll call him in.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:00 AM

I HUNT PUBLIC LAND ONLY AND THERE IS NO USE TRYING TO HUNT UNTIL THEY LEAVE.PROBABLY 90% OF MY BIRDS ARE KILLED BETWEEN 10:00-5:00.AFTER FIRST TWO WEEKS, THE GOBBLERS ARE LOOKING FOR COMPANY AS STATED EARLIER.CONTRARY TO WHAT A LOT OF NEW TURKEY HUNTERS MIGHT THINK,YOU CAN GET A BIRD TO GOBBLE ANY TIME OF DAY.IF A BIRD DOES ANSWER YOUR CALL,DON' T WASTE TIME GETTING SET UP-HE IS ALREADY ON HIS WAY IN MOST CASES!
Old 03-30-2003, 10:39 AM

A true dyed in the wool turkey hunter would never give up at 10 o' clock. I stay in the woods until the 1 p.m. cutoff time here in MO. If you can hear 1 gobble after 10 a.m., it is worth more than 100 gobbles at daybreak. Even if you don' t hear any gobbling later in the morning, the toms are usually out in their strutting areas and you just need to keep moving until you spot one. Good binoculars are a must for later in the morning. Don' t give up early, stay out there, you' ll be glad you did.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

Foofighter got it exactly right. After 10am many of the hunters are heading back home and this is prime time to hit public lands. Around this time the hens leave to go nest leaving the toms all alone and with no one to mate. That' s where your " sweet talk" calling comes in to help you land a nice trophy gobbler.
Old 03-30-2003, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

Not going to BS you.You won' t hear the amount of gobbling after that time that you will b4 that time. But when you do hear one, and you will, you have a real decent chance of workin that bird to a conclusion, without interference.Turkeys just aren' t as vocal as the day wears on.But if you persist, it WILL pay off!
Old 03-30-2003, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

10am?!?!? thats a long day for me and my dad...were usually in the truck by 10! after 9 or 10 we hear about no gobbling.......that to my dad means the turkeys dont want to play..which isnt always true...but after the morning we are fishing until we go out and scout that evening if we need new birds...we can only hunt till noon here...were in it for the action of the gobbling and strutting..not sitting there in silence motionless waiting for a bird to come in....so it doesnt really matter to us...
Old 03-30-2003, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

If gettin up before day light and going after gobblers wasn' t bred into me I would much rather sleep in and go out after 10. Like these guys all said if u get one to gobble u usually got er made.

Quick Reply: Head home after 10:00 a.m.?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.