Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Paddleboxes continued, holsters?

Old 03-29-2003, 09:01 AM

Default Paddleboxes continued, holsters?

OK, I went ahead and ordered a boat paddle from Ron Clough. Went with his New Spring Fever made with sycamore and walnut. Sycamore is awesome looking wood.

Anyway, does anybody know of a good leather holster for paddle calls? I saw one from Eight-Hooter in the Midwest catalog but I don' t feel like spending $35 just for a holster. Thanks for the input.

PBB
Old 03-29-2003, 02:17 PM

Default RE: Paddleboxes continued, holsters?

PA
There are cordura holsters made for paddle calls. I have several that I keep mine in. I believe the ones I have are $20 or $25. I think they do a better job of keeping the call quiet and are more durable.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:40 PM

Here' s some nice ones....

http://www.paulscalls.com/supplies.htm

Oops guess I should have read your post better, Sorry. One thing I have found from leathe gun holsters is, the good ones don' t come cheap. Of course were talking about $200 for a GOOD holster for a gun Dad' s Calls has a holster also but it' s not made of leather...

http://www.dadscalls.com
Old 03-29-2003, 05:40 PM

Do let us know how you like the box when you get it. I have played his calls at local outdoor shows and was less then impressed with what he had to offer.

Greg
Old 03-29-2003, 07:59 PM

Hey PABeardBuster, American Friction has a leather holster for boat paddle boxes for $19.95. And also, BeardBuster, I know you are into custom calls, do you own a Cut-N-Paddle from American Friction? Or for that matter, does anyone else own one or know someone who does? I have looked them over pretty hard in the Midwest catalog and that may be my next purchase if I decide on a boat paddle box. It looks nice and Bruce Wurth has won many awards with his friction calls. So many calls......so little money!!
Old 03-29-2003, 10:10 PM

Gobblenut,

I' ll be sure to post a " review" when my longbox arrives.I' m suprised that you didn' t like Ronnie' s calls. I have one of his tube calls along with a wormy chestnut glass call and a cedar double slate. Did you play any of the friction calls or just boxes? I couldn' t be happier with his stuff, although I' ve never played any of his box calls.

MOTT,

Actually, the longbox I just ordered is my first. I' ve been wanting one for a while but never got around to buying one. I don' t own any calls from American Friction (do you know their web address?), but their Cut-N-Paddle and Doug Camp' s Screamin' Hen were two other boat paddles that I considered. I mainly went with the Close Calls box because of the price difference, we' ll see how it turns out.

PBB
Old 03-29-2003, 10:27 PM

Here' s Bruce' s webpage....

http://www.americanfriction.com/

I' ve been wanting to try his calls also, along with the Close Calls. I agree, " too many calls, not enough time/money" LOL
Old 03-30-2003, 02:47 PM

PA, why don' t you make your oun holster, material is cheap enough. I have quite a few of Ron' s calls works real well in Pennsylvania next you talk to Ron tell him leadpot said Hi.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:56 PM

If there is one thing i have learned in 18 years of buying turkey calls is you get what you pay for, and then sometimes you don' t LOL. I played all of Ron' s calls when i would see his table at a show and nothing appealed to me personally. I will go on record to say that i am very particular about a call. Probably too particular for my own good. I' m sure they are more than capable of killing turkeys in adaquate hands, but their sound didn' t appeal to me. Yes, i did try his boxes and honestly, i didn' t think too highly of them. Deffinately not worth my money.