Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

am i hurting my favorite and only hunting spot

Old 03-28-2003, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default am i hurting my favorite and only hunting spot

i have about 120 acres and i built a house on the front of it and my house will be complete in about a month my problem is the woods are small and patchy and hold several deer and a very large flock of turkey and the house is about 200 yards from one of the patch of woods and i' m thinking when i get moved in and there is constant noise and people around the deer and turkey will move out or will they just adapt i' m really worried about this all your info is highly appreciated thanks.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:36 PM

Default RE: am i hurting my favorite and only hunting spot

I have found that houses don`t bother the birds that much but the family dog (if allowed to run) will cause them to move away.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:58 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-28-2003, 09:45 PM

my hunting spots are also very close to houses and doesnt bother the birds at all.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve had Turkeys, and deer all around my house all winter coming to my bird feeders. I have a black lab, that likes to run around outside. I was concerned about the critters coming around, and her wanting to go outside. 1 days she was out, and I spotted turkeys outback. I looked around for her out my windows, and saw her only yards away sitting on a snowbank just watching them!!!
Old 03-29-2003, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

All these guys are right.....deer/turkeys get used to noises but a loose dog is bad news.
Old 03-30-2003, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

Im with the other guys here. Keep your dog' s put up and cat' s out. Cat' s are hard on nesting hens.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:33 AM

As long as you plant a visual buffer and dont have dogs running around outside there shouldnt be a problem. The land I hunt is 140 acres and has two houses within 200 yards of its boundry. I have often seen deer and turkey within 100 yards of both houses but they usually stay about 300 yards away due to the barking dogs. As long as there is sufficient cover between the house and the travel routes the effect should be mimimal once the animals get used to it.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer-Hunter 21 , I have a couple flocks of turkeys that roost right next to my house so the idea that your house will bother them is not always the case .I used to have turkeys roosting on one side of my house , now they are on three sides .
As for the deer I had to get a lab and train him to run them out of the yard both day and night ,otherwise we couldn' t have any flowers or shrubs. He will only run them to the fence but not beyond his yard . We also trained him to not bother the turkeys so they are the only thing he will let into the yard . Living that close to the turkeys you do learn quite a bit about them and how they will react to different situations . Bottom line I' m not an expert ,but a lot of others aren' t either . Halcon
Old 03-31-2003, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

thanks guys i' m not planning on getting a dog and if i do i will chain it up thanks alot guys i will be riding fourwheelers there but i don' t think that will bother them either do you.