Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Primos mouth call

Old 03-25-2003, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Primos mouth call

I bought a Primos True Double stack frame call today. I opened it up and hit three yelp strings with it and the danged thing has wrinkled reeds already![:@]
Hadn' t owned it five minutes and this happens?!? I e-mailing Primos with this info, I' m interested in what they say. Eight bucks for less than a minute of calling is malarkey.
Anybody else ever have this experience with a mouth call.
BTW, the cheap thing sounded good for that one minute.[:' (]
Old 03-25-2003, 04:05 PM

Default RE: Primos mouth call

Bo, the Tru Double is just about my number 1 go to call. I have used one for years. The longest i was able to use the same call was two years before it developed a slight tear in the corner. After two seasons of hunting i feel i got more than my moneys worth. The point i will make is the reeds do wrinkle and i have found that is when i get the best sound out of it. I just began the process of breaking in a new one yesterday. I have found that the reeds wrinkling has absolutely no ill effect on the call, if you are accustomed and capable of using stacked framed calls in the first place.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:12 PM

I too use primos' mouth calls for both turkey and elk. All my calls developed wrinkles in the reeds but it doesn' t affect the sound at all. The true double is an excellent call had mine for three years and its still goin strong.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:16 PM

I too use and really like that call, it gives me the high pitch when I need it and the raspy old hen when I need it. I made a boss hen really angry the other day on a scouting trip, I probably called more than I should have, but I was having fun with her. That Primos True Double can really talk. I' ve been using mine 2 years now, it' s wrinkled and I haven' t really taken good care of it and it made that old hen mad. I bought a HS Struts Cutt' n 2.5 today, it' s good too but not as crisp as the Primos. Give the call a little time, get used to it. My bet is you' ll kill aa turkey using it.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:21 PM

Don' t be too quick to send hate mail! The original Primos mouth call are supposed to have wrinkles in the reeds. It' s what gives them they' re realistic sounds. The calls by Denny Gulvas also have wrinkled reeds.

PBB
Old 03-26-2003, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Well I kept trying this call and it sounds OK so I' ll keep on. I haven' t heard back from Primos anyway. I can get good rasp off this call so I' ll keep going with it. Thanks for the input.