Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

question on winchester shells

Old 03-22-2003, 07:45 PM

Default question on winchester shells

Which win. shells sould you rather shoot? Supreme® High Velocity Turkey Loads or Supreme® Double-X® Magnum Turkey Loads. I planed on shooting #5 shot out of my mossberg 500 with factory xx-full choke. Thanks for the help
Old 03-22-2003, 07:50 PM

Default RE: question on winchester shells

If it patterns well and you' re confident in it' s effectiveness, then shoot what works with your gun and choke.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:52 PM

Ky Trophy, I have used both Winchester shells in question and for the last couple of years I have used the Hi-Velocity #5' s. They pattern great out of my Rem. 870 with a Kick' s .665 choke. You' ll just have to try some of each in your particular gun but the HV' s outperform the XX' s in my gun.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:53 PM

ky-- i would stay far away from the hv turkey loads. i know most will disagree but i shoot the 500 also and i can not get any thing close to a reasonable pattern from any hv' s. i know there was a post about the 500 with certain chokes a couple weeks ago and there were several others that had the same experience with the hv' s. however the one that was recomended on the post was either the federal premiums #5 or the winch. double X #5' s like you asked about. anywho i hope this helped you out but let me know what you find out. i just bought a star dot chike for my 500 (heard that they go good together---we' ll see)
Old 03-22-2003, 07:57 PM

thanks for the help click. Guess i will buy the double xx' s instead of the hv shells tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would try them both. I have one gun that will pattern both pretty good and i have one gun that will only pattern the XX 2oz load. There not that expensive to try them both...
Old 03-22-2003, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

The right choke tube and choke restriction makes a big difference in your patterns. The Winchester HV 3" 1 3/4oz of #5' s were my favorite load for the last three seasons, until I tried the Nitro stuff and that Rhino choke tube. The Tru-Glo strutstopper choke tube sized .665, loves those Winchester HV #5 loads!!

Keep in mind, the factory chokes can' t hold a candle to a custom choke tube!! So if your shooting those shells out a stock factory choke, your wasting your time in my opinion. You owe it to yourself to try one of these chokes out, the proof will be on the parttern targets!! Been there, done that, and I' m trying to help you out!! The Winchester High velocity loads are the most popular factory turkey loads on the market!! The right choke tube makes them sing!!
Old 03-23-2003, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Winchester HV #5' s ROCK!!! I patterned them with my 870 Expess 12GA and a cheap Wally World STAR DOT X-Full choke, to amazing results!

Butch
Old 03-23-2003, 08:19 AM

The only answer is to pattern them and find which load your gun and choke like the best. Both have enough energy to get the job done at reasonable distances.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:15 AM

My favorite shells are the Winchester HV #5' s. My second choice is Federal Premium #5' s. Try ' em all, you really can' t count on others for info like this. Even identical guns can shoot the same load differently.

Quick Reply: question on winchester shells

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.