Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Gobbler Shakers

Old 03-22-2003, 03:32 PM

Default Gobbler Shakers

Has anyone had success with a gobble shaker call. Last year i had no success with my owl or crow locator calls so i was looking to try something new. Im not concerned too much about the safety aspect because i hunt private deer land that only one or two other club members hunt turkey on and it is 3-4 miles off the road so it isnt overun with poachers.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gobbler Shakers

I' ve had one for several years. I' ve packed that
thing in my vest many a day and I' venever
had another tom ' shock gobble' . However, last year
I did call in a couple of loudmouth hens[&:]. For
me, I believe my gobble shaker has made it' s
last trip to the woods.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:45 PM

I' ve used one for the last three years, and it get turkeys to gobble like crazy in the early mornings. I' ve also found that it can squeak at the wrong time, so I made a hard carry case out of pvc pipe. Be careful using it, you don' t want to become the hunted.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:55 PM

I have one that I have warried for a bunck of years,this year it got me a bird the opening morning.
I had a bird come in with 7 hens and stopped at about 60 or 70 yards and just stood there.the hen cam all around me and was feeding around.the gobbler staied out there till the hens started to feed away.
I tried every thing and he would not come any closer,so I went for broke,cackled and then gobbled several times.he moved and came in like he was on a string.I took him at about 20 feet.

I think I will carry it a while longer.[:-][8D]
Old 03-23-2003, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

All the time , I' ve found that some are better sounding then others, check them out for sound. QuakerBoy' s Gobble shaker is in my vest before I leave in the morning...BT
Old 03-23-2003, 10:04 AM

i was wandering how well they work as locater calls??
Old 03-23-2003, 10:41 AM

I' ve had pretty good luck with Quaker Boys original gobble shaker (happy BT? ). Never used it on a hung-up gobbler, sometimes these things slip a fellas mind. Plan on using it this year on tough birds, along with challange purring. But anyway, I' ve had the most success using the gobble call as a locator. Early season, like now, turkeys seem to love to gobble at other turkeys. Sometimes, I' ll gobble once early and absolutely set them off! Then they' ll continue to gobble on their own. I' ve also used it to roost turkeys in the evening several times.

If you don' t want to carry around a bulky gobble call, buy a good tube call. They' re fairly easy to master and you can gobble very well on them. I have a fantastic tube call from Ron Clough www.close-calls.com , and also the Super Snuff Can from Quaker Boy.

PBB
Old 03-23-2003, 12:30 PM

hey tree clmber just wondering how can you shake the hell out of a gobble tube(thats the only way i know to get them to work) with out a turkey seeing you when he is that close??