Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Calls while scouting

Old 03-18-2003, 11:23 PM

Default Turkey Calls while scouting

I am scouting a new area and know there are turkeys around but havent been able to find any roosting spots or get one to gobble (in the past two years using locators.so therfore I havent hunted there). I know they are there because I hunt elk there and have seen a few. This land is private and me and my buddy will be the only ones in there. But back to the question do you think it is a good idea to bring a loud box call or cutter to see if I can get one to gobble? Does it hurt anything to let them here me call once? I just need to locate some gobblin birds in this area. I never bring a turkey call in the woods before season in my regular areas.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Turkey Calls while scouting

In most cases I would say no, don' t do it. But knowing the frustration of locating the limited numbers of turkeys and especially non-vocal toms in this jungle we hunt in, I' m thinking that if you don' t hang around to educate him after he hears you it should be ok. Just pack it up if you don' t get an answer. I think the problem comes when people keep calling from a spot, or move around to work with the bird a little and get busted, or the bird comes in to a spot that you called from repeatedly only to find nothing. I think it would take a few times of this to really cause you a problem though. I' m thinking of doing it myself since it is so hard to find them in this stuff unless they sound off.

By the way, did you get my e-mail about a spot in your area I' m checking on? Please shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] ASAP so we can talk. I' m hopefully heading down your way on Friday to talk to the guy, and would like a heads-up if you' ve got one.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

I NEVER use a call unless I am actually HUNTING.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:25 AM

slee shot u an email.