Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Intimated by other callers ?

Old 03-17-2003, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Intimated by other callers ?

I really dont think anyone can tell you how to use a mouth call. They can just go over the basic and then it' s up to you to learn how to use one... I have been using a mouth call since i started turkey hunting and i sucked for the first couple of years. I really started learning how to use one after watching a lot of hunting video' s with world champion turkey callers.. So for me i would have to say no. Because i dont have to talk to them to learn something i can just listen and watch how they use there mouth and just practic and learn.

When i go to the Harrisburg show and walk around in the turkey hunting areas. I really cant say that i have heard anybody that i thought was a great caller.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:53 PM

I used to be somewhat intimidated by running calls around other people, but not any more.

My first calling contest I was darn near unable to run my calls I was so nervous, then I realized, " hey, I' m a good caller, this shouldn' t be such a big deal." I talked with Steve and Tommy from Penn' s Woods and they gave me some solid advice. Well, the next year I went in with tons more confidence, called well, and won. Next year I' m even planning on kicking (or at least trying to kick ) Matt Morrett' s rear at the PA State contest, no joke.

PBB
Old 03-17-2003, 03:25 PM

I`ll admit I`ve found myself uncomfortable running a call around some people. But I think as I call more I`m learning to relax abit more. Guys I hunt with say I sound good but there`s days when I think I sound horrible. Keeps me practising anyways.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:42 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-17-2003, 05:56 PM

i feel a bit shown up when im at cabelas and theres a very good caller out there, but its very entertaining to see the guys who are absolutely pitiful trying to work a call. its a good feeling to have guys stand and watch you use the call well. i actually enjoy watching guys that are better than me. but yes, i do feel intimadated a little.

slayer
Old 03-17-2003, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would walk right up to the guy and comment on his calling and ask him a few questions. BT, you know me, I' m never at a loss for words!! LOL!!! Remember the time on the way down to Columbus when you explained the proper way how to purr, well it worked!!! I now have that call down!! When we were at Columbus, I walked right up to Walter Parrot and Chris Parrish, and had a good chat with both of them. Thay are so down to earth and fun talking to!! Just don' t ask Steve Stoltz to take your pic!! LOL!!!!
Old 03-17-2003, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

...BT
Old 03-17-2003, 08:09 PM

I figure the only one I have to impress is the gobbler. Anyone who calls a turkey to the gun is a champ IMHO. [:-]

To answer the question, though, no I wouldn' t be intimidated. They get their butts kicked by ' ol tom just as much as the next guy. LOL.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off, we all know that turkey calling is, as has been surmised by the " experts" , a science. Every turkey call ever invented and played, is in essence a musical instrument.

I like to compare expert turkey callers with professional musicians. To me, a great guitar player like BB King or great jazz musicians like the Diz or Louie A. possess/ed a great ear for what " music" needed to sound like.

Struggling musicians can then be categorized as (1) less talented and will never be that good, (2) skillful enough but lack concentration, or (3) just don' t practice enough. I think what separates the " rest from the best" is a combination of all three aforementioned.

If your a professional turkey hunter, and your paycheck depends on your hunting and calling skills, then I guess you probably spend much of your time in the woods and " playing turkey music" . That guy has a huge advantage over the 95% of the other hunters who work 9-5 and have limited amounts of practice time.

I consider myself a damn fine caller, and know I can compete with some of the best who have qualified for nationals (I' ve done it face to face, just not in competition).

So for me, when I hear someone who can really " talk turkey" , I' m not intimidated---but damn am I envious and jealous of all of their practice time..
Old 03-18-2003, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK , At a show I was at, I had a little girl come up to me and ask a question, it caught me off guard. As she asked I could here something different in her voice. I as well noticed this fellow in a camo coat turned the other way right behind her. This struck me odd and asked this sweet little turkey hunter if her DAD had got her to ask me the question? she followed by saying Yes sir. I instantly told this man the answer to the question. He was embarrassed , but I followed it up with another conversation and he was fine. His daughter told me about her hunt from the past season and the gun that her dad got her for this season. But I was a little hurt that someone was emarrassed to ask me a question about turkey hunting. I never make fun of anyone about a level they are on. I love to help anyone if at all posible [:' (]...BT

Quick Reply: Intimated by other callers ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.