Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Catch and Release turkey hunting?

Old 03-16-2003, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Catch and Release turkey hunting?

I think my nephew invented it for my benefit yesterday!

I took him out for his first turkey hunt ever on the youth weekend here in MS. We got on a gobbling bird right off and set out for him. I quickly realized that he was a stubborn old bird that I had hunted before. He' s one of those that will gobble his head off on the roost then fly down and go the other way. NO ONE in our camp has EVER been able to call him in. He often roosts at the head of a big hardwood hollow where he can see down the whole length of it. And he won' t start gobbling til well after daylight. You can' t move in on him without him seeing you and you can' t come at him from anoter direction. Yesterday morning was foggy. I told my nephew that we were after a real trophy and we were going to try a tactical manuever. We used the fog to creep about 250 yards up the holow to within 150 yards of him (I told you it was a big hollow.). I stopped and gave a couple of clucks along the way as if a hen was moving to him. He answered each time. We got set up against a big ol' pine and I started calling in earnest. Well I heard another hen calling to him and agressively called over her yelps. He answered both of us then went silent. I told my nephew to get ready. About 20 minutes later, I looked over to my right and THERE HE STOOD! About 30 yards away. He was HUGE! Well over 20 pounds with a THICK beard about 11 inches long and some of the longest hooks I' ve ever seen! He had just materialized out of the fog. I never heard a sound at his approach nor did I see him working his way in. ( guess he was behind a tree on his approach.) I whispered " There he is" and waited for the BOOM. Nothing happenned! The turkey got uneasy and putted and turned and started walking away. I told my nephew to put it on him and pull the trigger! He said he didn' t have a shot. He felt helpless and shocked and disappointed at letting me down and said something to that effect as we watched him walk away out of range. I just told him that he just got his first lesson in humility in turkey hunting. I felt like the hunt was a roaring success! I had called in the " uncallable bird" . He felt bad that he didn' t close the deal, but I just told him " That' s turkey hunting!" and that that just means I just get to call him in again in a couple of weeks. I think he' s hooked now and I might have just made another huntin buddy.

When do you call a hunt a success?
Old 03-16-2003, 07:16 PM

Default RE: Catch and Release turkey hunting?

See now what would he have learned if he would have rolled an old bird like that his first time out. I think as a rule new hunters should leave those old birds to us more experienced hunters.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:15 PM

When do I call a hunt successful? Whenever I can get out the door. They' re all successful!
Old 03-16-2003, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too think you had a successful hunt. Pulling the trigger most of the time is anticlimactic anyway. Congratulations!

Great story, one that young fella will be able to tell his kids years from now.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:45 PM

That sounds like an exciting hunt. I bet your nephew had a great time. Using the fog to your advantage was a good idea, and sounds like it worked very well.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story. Yeah, getting out there is worth it.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:43 AM

I call that very successfull.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:30 PM

I call a hunt a success anytime I can get out of the house and go hunting like you and your nephew did. What a great way to share your knowledge of turkey hunting by passing it on to your nephew. Making memories like that will last a lifetime!!
Old 03-17-2003, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

man that would be a great hunt!! i know how your nephew feels....first hunt of my life....everyones calling ot these jakes all over the woods....we set up anyway and dad calls with my box call....sure enough in no time there were 3 nice jakes strutting around withing 20 yds of us...i could easily took one...had the hammer back on my single shot 20ga and i was ready...there were some tiny tiny little spring growths coming up...i thought they would stop my pellets and id miss or wound the bird...i let them all walk....tree rat hunting i learned that the 20ga takes off limbs of trees...but hey...thats turkey hunting....ive never felt anything as great as turkey hunting..hope he sticks with you....and congrats on calling in the uncallable bird.....good luck....hope you or your new partner tags him! man i wish i could be turkey hunting!!!!!
Old 03-18-2003, 02:50 AM

Success, like a Trophy is in the eye of the beholder . I would say your hunt was
very successful !

Quick Reply: Catch and Release turkey hunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.