Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

turkey calls

Old 03-17-2003, 02:42 PM

Default RE: turkey calls

Hey ProTC,

I can do any call you want on a good friction call or my ' ol faithful tube call, .

Yes, even a gobble. By the way, gobblin' on a tube is about as realistic as it gets.

PBB
Old 03-17-2003, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

I have to say that I have done my best on my mouth diaphram calls. I believe that most hunters normally go out and stop along the road scouting for birds.. The first thing they do is stop their truck get out slam the door and then start yacking on a box call. Then if they hear one, they run into the woods for some unknown reason, get out one of their friction calls and try to call the bird in to see what it is. I believe this occurs in every turkey hunting woods across the country. So when I go into the turkey woods and somebody is sitting there yacking on the easier calls to use, the birds are used to the sounds and come to me because they haven' t heard me before. And not to sound like a smart butt most people don' t try to use a mouth call because they don' t have the patience or time to practice.
Sorry if this offends anybody just my opinion. Pat
Old 03-17-2003, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

You can gobble on a friction call?
Old 03-17-2003, 03:25 PM

PABeardBuster, how can you gobble with a friction call?
Old 03-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

You can gobble call on a box call by putting rubber bands over the call so that there is one going to each side of the call, so that when you gently shake it from side to side the rubber bands return the paddle causing it to make a gobble. You' ll have to try it..it does work.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:14 PM

A certain little call company right here in PA makes a gobble striker. More or less a regular striker with two rods. Just go back and forth quickly across the surface of the call.

PBB
Old 03-17-2003, 08:55 PM

I' ve seen that gobble striker, does it actually work?

Pat,

I have the same problem here with tons of hunters hunting from the road, problem is they use either a box or a mouth call. I like using differn' t friction calls with differn' t strikers. There are sooooooo many differn' t slate type calls today with soooo many differn' t strikers.. hehe... Plus I' m adding a couple " Canadaian" strikers to my arsenel These southern toms will be love stricken I do believe
Old 03-18-2003, 02:41 AM

The Box has been my # 1 choice. I seem to feel comfortable with it. Mouth calls work well for me also . I never had much luck with friction, slate etc... Maybe because I only have the kind with mutiple surfaces . Like the Quaker Boy Quad Threat. They just don' t seem as sweet as the single face quality calls my buds use. I just ordered a Cody glass . I hope to make this a part of my turkey killing arsenal.
Here' s a call I can' t seem to work , Primos wingbone yelper. I try and try but...
Can anyone throw some tips at me on this one ?
Six weeks to go !
Old 03-18-2003, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Roman, I read that you are not having luck with the Triple Threat ! Lets talk here bud ,, That is the Only friction call I carry. There must be a problem. Too start have you tried different strikers ? My favorite Combo is the Aluminum side with a softwood striker like Cedar, the center divider is the Key to a great sounding Yelp. If you make your yelps close to that divider you can cut off and seperate every yelp you do, witch inturns sounds like real yelping. Don' t give up on it. You can also Kee-Kee , kee-kee-Run on it aswell...BT
Old 03-18-2003, 10:34 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I' ve had my best luck with mouth calls. I agree in that I don' t think the birds hear these near as much so they work better on heavily hunted birds. I learned with mouth calls, spent hundreds of hours practicing and am confident in them. I think the confidence factor has a lot to do with it, and the fact that I very rarely use any of the other calls. I haven' t had a need to. I also bowhunt so the box calls and friction calls don' t work too well as I' ve never used a blind.

Quick Reply: turkey calls

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.