Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

.655 = #6s Only?

Old 03-15-2003, 05:19 PM

Default .655 = #6s Only?

I' d been saving up to buy a new choke for one of my shotguns.and finally went out and bought it.A Kicks Gobblen Thunder in .655.Now I' ve only shot #5s in a my fav.Remington with a .665,And It' s been good to me but ...I' m wanting to carry this lighter 1300 this season.
Since I just picked this tube up with a couple boxes of shells (Win HV #6,#5 both 3" ) And it' s too late to go and pattern the shot,I' m curious to know if anyone else shoots with a .655,And what their opinion is of such a combo,and advice...I think I might already know,Go with the 6s!
Meanwhile I' ll look for the asprin for tommrow (for after the shooting) & My muffs and glasses.
MuddyD.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:01 PM

Default RE: .655 = #6s Only?

And it' s too late to go and pattern the shot
Usually 6' s perform better with that constriction, but by not patterning, i think your only setting yourself up for failure. Once you screw a turkey choke in the end of a gun there is no telling where it is going to throw the shot column. I have shot Winchester, Mossberg, Benelli, and Remington and none shot to point of aim with today' s aftermarket turkey chokes. Matter of fact the worst gun i patterned was the Benelli which shot a foot high and a foot to the right at 25 yards. I believe your getting ready to learn a hard lesson.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:47 PM

I have to agree with Gobblenutt 100% ! Do yourself a favor and the wild turkey a favor, wait until you have shot that set up before taking it to the turkey woods. Not meaning to sound mean or as a smart alec...
Old 03-16-2003, 12:38 AM

Hey there TScott how ya doin Buddy ?
I have to agree with TScott and Gobblenutt you really need to shoot it first !
If your old set up is a good' n then I would keep my trust in that untill ya get the chance to shoot your new tube
If there is one thing I have learned its that not every tube in every gun shoots the same even when your talking about the exact same gun and tube
Trust me you need to shoot it first
Good Luck MuddyDuck and Bag-a-Big' n this Spring !
Old 03-16-2003, 08:28 AM

Thankyou all for the input,I understand what you guy' s are say' n bout first shoot then check the target for point of aim density,
It' s going to be fairly simple I hope.This pumpgun' s also carrying optics on top( Wever' s,4x32).I' m packed up & headed to the range right now...I' ll post my findings later on today.
Be Safe & Best of Luck to ALL !!!
Muddy
Old 03-16-2003, 08:28 AM

I agree on both points. I' d stay with the #6 AND test them on paper. I' d hate to have ya miss a huge gobbler or worse, wound it.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:10 PM

Okay,It' s done.First thing I was to post a paper with a half dollar sized dot 15yds away a fired dove loads until I could center the loads,At this distance the pattern was only slightly larger than a golf ball.
Once that was finished I moved the stand & new target back to 30yds and reloaded with the 3" #6s and once again from the bench fired one rd..I then had to adjust the elevation,fired once more.cleared the target,replaced it with pc. of wood 2" wide x 3' long,painted white.I hammered it into the ground and this time sitting on the ground 30yds away fired.when I checked the stick I was happy with the results - lots of pellet holes.So I put another stake 40yds away.Fired one more time with almost the same results.
Total turkey loads used three.
Dove loads used five.
Now Mom sez I have the lawn to clean up and mow . So later folks.
Muddy(The lawnman) Duck
Old 03-16-2003, 03:50 PM

Now Mom sez I have the lawn to clean up and mow .
I had some honeydoos myself........but I went scouting instead. Uh, oh! LOL.[]