Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

what about this call?

Old 03-14-2003, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default what about this call?

Hey guys!

I' ve been a long-time bowunter (for whitetail), and this' ll be one of my first real attempts at chasing our beloved turkey for real. (I' ve anchored three turkeys with three arrows so far, but that' s been while deer hunting.)

Anyway, I' m brand new to actually chasin' these critters. I' m looking at buying some calls and stuff, and I' m intrigued by these four-part " slate" calls made by various manufacturers. You know the ones; they' re one-quarter aluminum, one-quarter slate, and something else and something else.

What' s your thoughts on these? To a novice, it looks like it would pack a lot of variety into one call...
Old 03-14-2003, 05:10 PM

Default RE: what about this call?

Alot of variety, yes. Alot of quality? Not IMO. I have played these calls before, and what i have noticed is that the sound is flat and dead. Your playing surface is best utilized when it transfers vibrations into your pot. Because of these " partitions" the vibrations are stopped short, not allowing the call to perform up to par with say your regular slate, glass, or aluminum calls. It' s like trying to play a box call while your gripping the playing side, it just doesn' t sound right. Now i am sure there have been some turkeys killed with the call, heck, you can call one in with a swizzle stick on a good day, but i prefer to sound as close to a real hen as humanly possible. I get more gobbles, and i consistantly kill more birds. I just purchased what i believe to be the best sounding glass call i have ever heard. I have made some sound files of me playing the call, and if you would like to listen shoot me an email, i' d be glad to send them to you. Good luck to you this spring.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:30 PM

I' ve got to agree w/ Gobblenut the quality in these calls isn' t very good at all. I like the idea but not the call. I have had Quaker boys triple threat and my friend had there four surface call. They dont carry a good tone at all. I took the triple threat appart ant the calling surfaces were uneven and chipped on the underneath side. I came to the conclusion that they may be using scrap liitle pieces from there other calls and piecing these together to make a call. From now on I' ll stick to one surface calls or flip side.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:37 PM

I have to agree totally
Old 03-14-2003, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Couldn' t have said it any better than " GN" .
Old 03-14-2003, 10:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks a bunch, guys! I was in our local hunting store today, and noticed I didn' t see nearly as many of these as I used to a year or so back. In fact, I can' t recall seeing any.
Old 03-15-2003, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Primos And K&H make some decent production calls you might want to check out...
Old 03-15-2003, 08:58 AM

I agree that it' s a novel idea, but not a practical one.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:26 PM

I' m not really into production calls. I like custom calls, period. Check out www.midwestturkeycall.com , their selection of custom friction calls is second to none, they should have one (or several ) that appeals to you. Good luck.

PBB
Old 03-15-2003, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

I have a better idea...how about one slate call that sounds really good and then buy a couple different strikers. Maybe a carbon, cherry wood, maple wood, etc. Different striker will give one call different sounds.

Quick Reply: what about this call?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.