Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

patterning

Old 03-12-2003, 03:10 PM

Default patterning

I' ve only tried to pattern one gun (870) I found that the choke that shoots the best will shoot the best with any shell. So is it safe to say that you can find the choke that works best in your gun, then start looking for the load that patterns best but you don' t have to shoot every load through every choke.I could have saved lots of $ not to mention shoulder wear and tear.
has anybody found that a different load needs a different choke
Old 03-12-2003, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: patterning

Turkey 7, the only sure way to know what your gun is doing is to shoot, shoot and shoot some more. To say that every gun and choke alike will shoot the same load is not exactly right, while some of the time it may ring true but there are exceptions.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:41 PM

to say that I don' t think would be anywhere near right. I was saying that the choke that shoots the best in my gun shoots every shell the best and I spent alot of shells shooting each load through every choke, when the same choke shot every shell the best. I could have shot one load through each choke and found the choke that did the best, lay all the other chokes aside and started shooting different loads to find the one that patterned best. But I don' t know if this would be true every time, and I was wondering if anyone else had the same observation.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ll be shooting some Nitro hevishot loads this saturday at a buddies house. We are getting ready for a Rio trip come April and want to pattern some shells before the trip. This will give me a chance to also try that Rhino choke as well. This will be it for me, I' m done with looking for the perfect combo!!! I did my homework over the years and now can concentrate on the hunt!! YAHOOOO!!!!
Old 03-13-2003, 04:54 PM

yes sir reee its time. we open Sat. week 3/22.. Maybe I' ll trysome hevi shot someday but my choke is lead only