Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Who Roosts and Who Don' t.....

Old 03-08-2003, 09:16 AM

Default RE: Who Roosts and Who Don' t.....

When is the best time to go roosting?[&:]
Old 03-08-2003, 12:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I always roost. An example, this year my buddy and I are going to meet up in NY and camp for 3 days before the season opens. We' ll be sitting somewhere every night and morning for 3 days with our Talk-a-bout radios trying to pin as many birds down as possible. We then try to set up opening morning in a spot that' ll give us the quickest access to the most birds in the shortest time in case something buggers the first set up/s. Something is always happening as we' re hunting public State lands. I called these two birds in at 2 set ups within 400 yards of each other on opening morning and were back at camp before 7:00. Our first set up was a bust as I also called in a Coyote who spooked our bird off the roost 100 yards from us but caught a load of 6' s for his sins. We moved quickly set up and had the first bird by 6:00. He had yet to make a sound that morning but we knew where he was. We killed the next one about 6:45.

Old 03-08-2003, 12:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Someone mentioned hard to find a bird that hasn' t been messed with. We camp in NY right on a road just inside some state land. You can' t see our vehicles if you' re driving down the road until you' re at our camp site. This is a very country rural no traffic road. One night while sitting by our fire we had no less than 7 cars come down the road and mess with birds. We' d hear them stop. They' d get out, slam the doors, wait, start slamming on a box call for all they were worth. Some would start with a crow but when they got no response they' d start whacking a box call. It happened every morning and every night. There were more people stopping and calling to those birds. Far more traffic than the road gets on the opener of gun season. Sometimes they' d pull ahead another 200 yards and do it again and again until they got to us. Then they' d drive on by a couple hundred yards and do it again.

One night we were sitting at our fire having a drink and laugh. It was 10:00 when I told a joke which set my buddy off. His laughter was drowned out by a bird roosted across the road not 150 yards from us. He had never made a sound to the nightly callers that drove by but he appreciated my joke at 10PM. I' d like to report a happy ending to the story, but we busted him setting up in the dark. Well, we busted a bird ... we thought it was him as we got no reply to our calls at first light. After about 30-45 minutes of waiting we stood up to move. He was 60 yards away still on the roost.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to " tuck" them in bed before I hunt them...
Old 03-10-2003, 02:23 PM

bogobble, we must have the same strain of turket you have. i hunt in bradley county, and for 13 years have only heard one turkey gobble in the evening. out of 8-12 hunters on our lease only one roosts- he has no better average than the rest od us
Old 03-10-2003, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

Bennie, I hunt just across the river in Union county. perty close to strong.
I also hunt felsenthall down at jones lake and shallow lake.
you ever bowhunt down in felsenthall?
Old 03-10-2003, 03:31 PM

our lease is about three miles up the creek from moro bay. i never really got into bow hunting. so much other i like to do could' nt put the time in needed for bow. my refuge hunting (squirrel) mostly on saline river.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

I live about 7 miles from moro bay. between moro and strong.
I know you' ve hunted or fished perrogeeth lake right?
I' ve fished and bowhunted over there. where bouts you live
over there?
Old 03-10-2003, 09:48 PM

actually i live in crossett. i just try to spend as much time in God' s country as i can

(so much that my wife wonders what i' m doing over there). have' nt fished perogeethe or green yet, but planning to. have fished moro creek a lot. made alot of trips down your road.

Old 03-10-2003, 11:26 PM
Fork Horn

definately like to roost[8D]

Quick Reply: Who Roosts and Who Don' t.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.