Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Who Roosts and Who Don' t.....

Old 03-05-2003, 07:03 PM
VP

Default RE: Who Roosts and Who Don' t.....

I' m most definately a ROOSTER, You got to be if your huntin public land- Its about the only chance your gonna get at catchin a bird when he' s still got sleep in his eyes Some of them yahoos (ROAD RUNNERS, I call em) run up and down the road like a bunch of wild animals calling every 50 ft. I' ve actually seen birds on the roost gobblin like crazy until they hear a truck out on the gravel and doors slam, crow callin, yelpin and a Hootin get PLUM LIPP LOCKED. They just sit up there for 20-30 minutes and never say another word. Dont ever think they dont get wise to that stuff. I watched a about a two year old bird strutin, druming, spittin and gobblin every breath with 4 hens by his side at about 60 yds for 15 minutes, a truck drove up on the road which was a pretty good distance from us and somebody got out and started calliing and hootin and all 5 of them birds stopped everything and started heading off in the opposited direction . That bird didnt gobble for another hour after that. Maybe the fellas callin was just that impressive ??? COMEON !
Old 03-05-2003, 07:31 PM

I guess I should spend more time roosting.......birds, that is. [&:] Thing is, I almost always know where they' ll be, give or take a few yards. It' s just a matter of wheather or not they feel like dying that day.

Ok, I' ll make a promise to roost a bird the night before my first hunt this year. [&o]
Old 03-05-2003, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do, and I don' t both. Huh??? I hunt northern, and southern tier regions of NY. I' ve tried like crazy in the past to roost a gobbler the night before in the Northern tier, and have yet to roost 1 darn tom. Not a one in several yrs of effort, they just don' t seem to talk much before sunset here. Now if I head south to my camp those toms talk like crazy to crow, owl, bobcat, coyotes, car doors, guns. Its so easy down around that area to roost them, so I do it whenever I go down. Now you may think hey more birds down south then north right, nope! I actually have taken more toms up north, and seen more in the north in last couple yrs. I asked a chapter president of the NWTF why this is, he told me he finds the same exact thing. So he never bothers roosting in the northern tier, but he can get them to gobble before dawn with an owl hooter. He takes that route. On why do they do it, he believes its becasue of hawks, coyotes, and predators that can use the darkening hour or turkey in a tree for the kill of a meal. becasue of that he believes the toms keep quiet up north at dusk. I just thought I' d share that bit of possibility!
Old 03-06-2003, 02:44 AM

I try to roost even if I can' t make it out in the am. I start work early.
I agree with Buckalley. I hunt NH-VT and in both states their are certain areas
I thought could hold large numbers of predators. Some places are easy top roost and others you know they are there but thet are plum tight lipped.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:10 AM
Spike

The only time I make an effort to roost a gobbler is if I' m taking people that don' t get to hunt much or are just learning the sport. I hunt only public land and hunt in many different locations. Most mornings I don' t even know where I' m going to try for a bird, I just head down the road and go with my gut feeling. Sometimes I stop at good listening spots and hang around ' till I hear one gobble and sometimes I hike into an area. I generally go after the first mature tom that I hear. The first 10 years I hunted I roosted alot but the last 25 years I' ve found it more fun to just wing it.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:44 AM

Well due to the fact that I do not finish work till 7:30pm [:@] & the are I usually hunt is an hour away, I am unable to roost....even so, the property I hunt on is private with me been the only hunter allowed on it, and there are quite a few birds there, I chance it....last year I was able to harvest 2 birds on 2 consecutive Saturday mornings within 15 minutes of setting up....roosting is good if you have the time....Brampton Mike [8D]
Old 03-06-2003, 04:49 AM

i roost the gobbler i want the night before, but it never seems to work out too well for me. it seems that the gobbler' s are influenced more by the hens than my call. i don' t really think it' s my ability to call because i have no problem later on in the morning getting a bird to come in. but i always try to increase my chances by roosting a bird.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:59 AM
Spike

I love to have a roosed bird to set up on in the morning, unfortunatlyI
hunt about 1.5 hours from home plus another 20 minute walk to where
I listen so it is almost impossible if I want more that 2 hours sleep! I have managed to kill a couple right off the roost but more times than not they
hen up & I have to wait till later in the morning....
Old 03-06-2003, 05:00 AM

I like to go out a couple hours before dark and cruise the back roads. Many times I will see a gobbler strutting in the road somewhere and you know they won' t be far away in the morning.I will walk in somewhere just before dark and try to get one to gobble.I never had much luck roosting birds until I started using a canister type owl hooter.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:00 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Who Roosts and Who Don' t.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.