Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

[Deleted]

Old 02-28-2003, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What triggers gobbling activity?

Paul, I f i understand you right.You' re sayin I' m half turkey and half deer cause my matin urge is always triggered
Old 02-28-2003, 08:12 AM
Spike

IMO, with regards to the effect of barometric on gobbling, the higher the pressure the better. I' ve been watching the barometer for over 30 years and with 30 in. of pressure and rising there is an increase in gobbling activity. At a pressure of 30.25+ the toms will knock the woods down. Below 30 in. and falling the gobbling starts to drop off and at 29.50 in. and lower very few if any gobbling will be heard. This excludes the passing of frontal systems which may crank them up or shut them down. After about 4 days of the same high pressure system the gobbling will start to trail off. A couple of days of a low pressue system, with a rain storm or associated bad weather, bring pushed out by a high pressure system will get the gobblers going again.
The increase of sunlight is what gets both the gobblers and hens set to breed. Thus the gobblers begin making that sound we all like to hear.
Another thing that has a great effect on gobbling is the condition of the turkeys. Good food sources make healthy birds, so abundance of feed through the fall and winter months will have a major effect on gobbling. Fat, strong gobblers will do much more gobbling then weak starving toms.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:04 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-28-2003, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Foo,Somethin I' ve noticed,When I' m drivin from my house to my huntin spots in the early mornin darkness.I f I see lots of critters(deer,coon and fox especially) on the move then I know the turkey will be active and gobblin good that day.I' ve also noticed warm or cool,wet or dry,doesn' t seem to make as much of a diffrence as much as the barometer on the move does.Kinda why I' d like some input from the rest of the guys to see if I' m on the right track or if it has been coincedental.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-28-2003, 06:58 PM

I agree jalvja, when wildlife is on the move,its on the move. and when its not its not. When you see all the critters on the move you can bet the fish are biting also. This is generaly speaking and there are exceptions. I' ve learned that you may see anything in the wild at any given time,but in general, all wildlife get active or inactive together and it may happen suddenly.