Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

slate?

Old 02-24-2003, 01:07 PM

Default slate?

Lookin to buy a slate call this year, ive never used one but want to try. Whats a easy to use slate call thats sounds good?
Old 02-24-2003, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: slate?

I just picked up a new HS Strut Li' l Deuce 2, at Wally World for $9.95. It is really easy to use - and I' ve NEVER had a slate call before! I just read the instructions, and sat there doodling with it along side my box call.

The standard box call pressed hard is like 120db inside the house! [] The Li' l Deuce is more softer sounding. It does beautiful purrs and cutt sounds, that I can' t quite do good on the box call.

Hope this helps....

Butch
Old 02-24-2003, 01:41 PM

For starters or experts I don' t think you can go wrong with the Knight & Hale Ol' Yeller. The call is very user friendly, easy to maintain, very versatile and will work wet. Not to mention it sounds great!
Old 02-24-2003, 07:01 PM

honestly they all have a good product. the Quaker Boy walnust series slate is good as is Primos slate. The Knight & Hales are good too. HS Strut used to have a good sounding one as well. Cody is good so is several other brands. Heck give a few a try & see if you like one over the other.

Old 02-24-2003, 08:33 PM

i am a fan of Knight and Hale so i think im going to give Ol' Yeller a try , but i think im going to buy a couple and give them a try like you said. thanks for your info guys.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:43 AM

I had heard alot of good things about Cody Calls so I got the Cody Woodsman
slate. Man is it sweet. I cant imagine a better sounding, more consistant call out there. I am definately impressed with it. There are alot of good calls out there.
My only advice is get a good one. Most of the cheaper models I have found are just that .... Cheap. Go for middle range 30 - 50 dollars .
Old 02-25-2003, 05:28 PM

Benhuntin has some good advice there, you get what you pay for in this world, there is no such thing as good " cheap" stuff. Spend the extra bucks and get a good call that will last you a lifetime with some care. Get a Cody, Blodgett, Cane Creek, maybe even a custom made call. My next call will be from that group. Have fun shopping around, there' s a lot to choose from out there!
Old 02-26-2003, 06:18 AM

Knight & Hale O' l Yeller Sla-tek very affordable, Under $20
Old 02-26-2003, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

I have the Knight & Hale Ol' Yeller Slatek. It does sound really good. I would like to have a true slate call though.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:19 PM

after looking through the red head spring catalog, i think im going to get a call by cody! it really looks like a nice call

Quick Reply: slate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.