Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

2nd Time's the Charm! PA Gobbler Down!

Old 05-03-2008, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 2nd Time's the Charm! PA Gobbler Down!

Well, first, I have to start off with what happened to me last weekend on the PA opener. I had a nice mature tom come in on a string shortly after first light, only to miss the dang thing at 30 yards[:@] Needless to say since I was still looking for my first gobbler (this is my second season), I was very frustrated and a bit upset (although I have to admit it was a blast getting him in that close).

Fast forward to this morning. I needed to redeem myself after that horrid miss from last weekend. I had been going out in the evenings here at home trying to roost some birds, and get an idea where they may be frequenting (since I figured I threw them somewhat off their routine after blasting away at them last weekend). Well, the results were a little disheatening because I wasn't able to get any birds roosted UNTIL last night. I hear a few gobbling back in off our property line just before dark, and although I knew I couldn't hunt there, nor did I know EXACTLY where they were roosting, I knew they would be in the general area.

So, I got into the woods at about 5:20, and just stood in our pasture listening for the first gobble to determine my setup. I didn't call to try and entice a shock gobble, I just stood there. Finally, one sounded off in a hollow that leads off our property (close to where I heard them last night). So I set my decoy up in the field about 20yds out, then scooted back into the woods. Well, after some aggressive yelps from my slate, the bird seemed to, at one point, start getting closer. However, I quickly realized he was heading away from me up the other side of the hollow to a field edge on the other side. I made the decision to get up and head him off. I quickly made my way around the hollow via our field, and snuck down in the point. I have a four wheeler path, that I was able to sneak down and stop to listen to see where he was. He kept gobbling, and soon, I knew exactly where he was. I quickly made my way to the other side of the hollow, and set up my decoy down the four wheeler path about 20yds, then sat up on a little rise against a hemlock.

Well, I wasn't there much more than a minute, before I felt that I wasn't sitting with enough cover, so I quietly got up and snuck 20yds to a big fallen pine on the field edge. Problem is, the bird is closing, and closing fast, and I can't get into a good position facing him! I'm not longer facing the decoy, nor am I facing the direction he's coming, but I knew I had no other choice, than to take my chances or spook him off. So I'm sitting there facing away about 5 yds off the edge of the field and slighlty down. I gave one soft yelp, and waited. He sounded off as he entered the field DIRECTLY behind me about 20yds. At this point, I can't even see him, but I have my head turned facing the field expecting him to come up. Sure enough, there he is! Only 10yds over my shoulder (he appeared even close since I was sitting slighly below him). He worked his way along the field line spitting and drumming (SO COOL...I've never heard this before), then he was about 6 yds (no lie here) and directly at 90 degrees to where I was sitting. He was dead set on finding that "hen." Then he let out a big gobble, and at 6yds...WOW...you could actually feel the shockwave (has anyone else experienced this? It was AMAZING!). So I take the safety off praying he doesn't even see that movement, and all the while I have my barrel positioned at ONE and the only opening between me and the field (the rest was covered with a lot of hay/autumn olive). The second he stepped in the opening, I let him have it! Down he went instantly, and I had my first gobbler ever! I was so pumped!. Came to find out later that I shot both barells of the 10guage at the same time[&:] Oops...I guess the excitement took over. So the bird receieved two 10 guage 3 1/2s at 8yds[8D]

Enough talking, here's the pictures. The bird weighed 23lbs, had a 9 1/4" beard, and 1" spurs.

And finally...yes I used my father's 10 guage doube barell. MY 12 guage needed some repair work done on it, so this canon was taken.

Sorry for the long winded post guys, put I'm still so pumped! What a crazy morning! Bird was taken at 6:50AM.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2nd Time's the Charm! PA Gobbler Down!

CONGRATS!!!
Old 05-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

VERY NICE, MATT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

NICE!!!!!! Well done Matt! Great story on a great Bird. Sound like you had an awesome Hunt, Congrats!
Old 05-03-2008, 10:54 AM

Way to go Matt Congrats. Very nice bird. Unfortunately I went birdless again today. Those stinking things are kicking my butt. Damn rats with wings!!![:@]
Old 05-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

great bird man
Old 05-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

I had a nice mature tom come in on a string shortly after first light, only to miss the dang thing at 30 yards[:@] Needless to say since I was still looking for my first gobbler (this is my second season), I was very frustrated and a bit upset!
We have all been there. I missed the easiest shot in America on the 17th of April, then killed a bird 3 hrs later. Then he let out a big gobble, and at 6yds...WOW...you could actually feel the shockwave (has anyone else experienced this?
Yea, don't ya just loved that old throaty gobble that sendsyour heart rate & BP skyhigh!
Came to find out later that I shot both barells of the 10guage at the same time[&:] Oops...
I bet you didn't even feel it

And finally...yes I used my father's 10 guage doube barell. MY 12 guage needed some repair work done on it, so this canon was taken.

Sorry for the long winded post guys, put I'm still so pumped! What a crazy morning! Bird was taken at 6:50AM.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Matt,

Congrats, awesome job bud, that is so cool!!!!!!!

Great story as well.

Take care my friend.

Brian
Old 05-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

way to go!!!!
Old 05-03-2008, 04:30 PM

Congrats on the bird!!! I love it when you can hear them drummin'!!!!

Quick Reply: 2nd Time's the Charm! PA Gobbler Down!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.