Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mounting the Tail?

Old 05-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default Mounting the Tail?

I was on cabelas looking at different mounts for turkey tails and i really likedthis one called King Outdoors Spur Trophy Mount ...my question is will i have to cut the feathers out of my turkey tail and put them back together or can I puta dried turkey tail in it? Is there a mount I can buy where I can put a dried turkey tail in it?

Thanks Justin
Old 05-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mounting the Tail?

Most mounts i have ever seen, you can dry the fan and just put it on there. You shouldn't have to take the feathers out.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not that I have first hand experience...from reading the pinned thread about mounting a tail etc...I think you cut tail off and position it meat side up in the position you want it to be in when mounted and salt it to dry the meat out then after its dry it should be in the correct shape.

Check out the thread above and get an idea.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just cut the fan off and then leave the main feathers + the second row of feathers, and cut the rest off. Once you've done this, get in with a small knife (I like to use a box cutter) and cut off whatever excess meat you can get. Spread the fan out on cardboard and put pins or nails between the bottom feathers to hold it in position. Then put salt on the meat to dry it out. Let that sit in that same position for a good 3-4 weeks. Thats the toughest part and even that isnt hard.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

what kdsberman said, except I use borax instead of salt. from what I've heard, it helps keep bugs away too. I've used it a couple times and it works pretty good. You can get it in the laundry dergent section of the supermarket as "20 Mule Team Borax".