Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First Gobbler

Old 04-28-2008, 08:25 PM

Default First Gobbler

Opening day of turkey.. My buddy Ron and I headed out for SGL 205 off of route 100 just north of Fogelsville. We got there about 5:00. We were the only car in the lot on our side of the gamelands. We decided to set up about the same spot where he got his gobbler last year. We have had alot of luck with seeing and hearing birds in this area. We get to our spot about 5:30 and sit down to wait. About 15 minutes later we hear our first few gobbles. We decided since ron got his first bird last year that we would set up to try and get me my first bird. He let out a few soft yelps and we had a few gobblers go off. By 6:10 we had 7 gobblers going but none were actually really close. five minutes later we hear BANG and that was in the next section of woods over from us.. That just about shut everything up except for one bird. He kept gobbling. He was across the street on the private property. Ron kept calling and he kept gobbling. He was getting closer and he was a hot bird. I could tell at one point that he was at the road and coming fast.I could hear him spitting and dumming and he was gobbling his head off and was right in front of me but I couldnt see him. Then there was his head.. bright white, glowing like a light bulb in the woods.. He was about 40 yards andnot where i could get a clear shotat him. Hewas looking forthe hen and was starting to circle in. He got to a small clearing about 35 yards and I let loose with my #6 Activ turkey loads.. But i didnt see him flopping around. I ran over quickly and there he was... just looking at me.. He was paralyzed .. So i took a 3 step drop and with a running start gave him a swift kick in the head to finish him off.. The end result was my first gobbler, 18 pounds, 8.25" beard and 1" spurs
Old 04-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Gobbler

Way to go! Congrats on your first bird!
Old 04-28-2008, 08:55 PM
G92
Fork Horn

Congrats!
Old 04-29-2008, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck