Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

would a full moon effect how active a gobbler is

Old 04-22-2008, 04:09 PM

Default would a full moon effect how active a gobbler is

Ya i was just wondering if a full moon would have any thing to do with how active a gobbler would be because. when i was out scouting they would start gobbling around 6:20 in the morning when on the roussed and not stop till 9:00 - 10:00 am but the first two days of the season was a full moon and they would start on time but after about a half an hour they would stop answering my call and just shut off for the rest of the day!!! and i dont know why so if sombody can help me out i would really appreciate the help!!!
Old 04-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: would a full moon effect how active a gobbler is

the moon shouldn't have any affect on it. i would tone dont the calling while in the tree. just hit it acouple of time to let them know you are there. also if i am set up tight (close) to the roosting site i will take my hat hold it by the bill and shake it rapidly to imitate a hen flying down.
the most logical reason for a tom to shut up after daylight is that they have hens with them.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

same thing to me! weren't roosting where they have for years.....so I'm not sure whats going on, they only talked early til the first hour or so, then pretty seldom, no turkey,

next year I'm thinking 3rd season instead of 2nd. but who knows
Old 04-22-2008, 09:10 PM

thank you i will try that
Old 04-22-2008, 09:44 PM

If anything a fullmoon can make them gobble a little earlier, anyway yeah just give a few soft yelps, real soft. Even if he gets excited I would wait till they fly down before I would try anything remotely aggressive. (and even then only if you feel like you have to) If he keeps hammering away at those yelps then just keep em soft.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:32 PM
Typical Buck

During my scoutting and the full moon we are under now I have noticed that the birds tend to fly down more in the woods then fields. I belive this to be due to the abiltiy to see better. Number 2 they more then likely locate hens faster. Good Hunting.