Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Funnest day of my life!!!!

Old 04-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Funnest day of my life!!!!

It started at 8:00 Thurs morning. Id seen and spooked this bird on Tues. Sat up on him Wed. afternoon and he hung up behind some cover about 30 yrds out. OK back to Thurs. After taking my daughter to school I parked, got outa the truck and boom....hes back on the same ridge Gobbling his brains out. I set out to the ridge, he was gobbling the entire time. I slipped up the ridge to see him in full strut across the field. (80-90yrds) As usually happens when stalking a Turkey he busted me. I gatherd my composure and set off down the mountain to another spot to try and cut him off. Half way down he started gobblin again on the same ridge as before. Back to the top I go! This time he wasnt in the feild so I had time to set up. He did just as he was suposed to. 30 mins and a few soft purrs later he was on his way. 50yrs and closing it was just a matter of time...least till the dogs showed up! I ll speed it up. I didnt move 20 mins later he was back. Strutting gobblin and showing his stuff but that invisible wall that we all know to well was there. Just outa range he strutted back into the woods making a 45 minute circle. Out the ridge and back to the field he came and went. After he did it the second time I made my move just as he disapeared int the woods I moved. Closer to the wood line he was passing through. Like clock work he was on his way back, only this time I was where I needed to be. At 2:30 he was finaly in range. A 20 yrd shoot was close enough for me.
11.5 inch beard and 1 inch spurrs hes the best bird Ive killed. He weighed in at just over 20 lbs.

Whata day!!! (check out the pixs at my blogspot http://dtcgc.blogspot.com/)
Old 04-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Funnest day of my life!!!!

sweet
Old 04-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Heres a pix of him. Didnt know I could postem like this....just playn
Old 04-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Nice bird. Sounds like ya had to work hard for that fella. Congrats...
Old 04-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Typical Buck

Good Story and Nice Bird!Did he have a Double beard? Looked like it to me!

TF
Old 04-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I still say a turkey hunt I had 2 years ago was the best hunt I've been on/had to date!

I've hunted, bear, deer, antelope, elk, I myself was surprised how awesome it was, I really attribute it to the DIY trophy that I took with my father....

I've since taken an antelope, but wasn't much of a trophy, still exciting because it was DIY success, but that turkey still has the #1 spot. Hopefully it won't last forever though, excited for future successes....

Possibly WY antelope this fall, if my father and I both draw, hopefully we'll both take a nice buck, and one booner or pushing B&C would just be awesome, at least one 75" + is the goal though, and 2- 75"+ with one nearing 82" would just be phenominal. Hopefully there will be pictures to come....check back in SEPT/OCT.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

Good Story and Nice Bird!Did he have a Double beard? Looked like it to me!

TF
No double beard...just a single. Thanks for the coments