Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

ADVANCED CALLING TECHNIQUE

Old 04-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default ADVANCED CALLING TECHNIQUE

kind of a long read but well worth the new trick in the bag.

last weekends hunting trip taught me a thing or 2. previously i have only sat in a single spot for a while and called.

last weekend things were a little rough for finding receptive toms, infact it was one of the hardest spring hunts i have encountered.after being beat all day we walkedup a thick tree line staying on the outside where no turkeys could see us, we called periodicly for a half mile. we got no responses so we cut through to the other side of the tree line (50-100 yrds wide)we walked back calling periodicly. it wasn't until we finished with the line and crossed the road moving twards the heavy timber that a big gobbler raced in from our pathand was riping off at us trying to get us to come back. so we came back 100 yards just across the road, set up the decoy real quick and sat down. we yelped and purred and in no time at all he flew thrugh the trees and pushed his way streight through the thick brush a rabbit couldn't get through and came streight at us. he drummed and strutted at 10 feet while i purred with my mouth for 2 minutesbeforethe tom was shot.

this struck me as odd, this was a big tom, and we couldn't get any positive responses out of any other birds so what went so right here that got this tom so fired up he would do anything to get to us... i believe it is the fact that we walked twards the tom calling all the way, and the tom silently waited there for the hen which he never got to see, thenas we called perodiclywalking away he panicked, running twards us. thenafter we heard him respond to our callweran the 100 yards back twards him and did a quick call the tom, the tom is now thinking he isthe man and would do anything to get tous.

in the future we will try this calling technique more as we take people out hunting. i don't know if anyone has heard of a calling technique like this? i will update with a picture if i get it in soon.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:48 PM

Default RE: ADVANCED CALLING TECHNIQUE

There was a guy that had a write up in the Ga outdoor news this past month that described calling very similar to what you did, he call it "dragging the bird". He wrote that is is very effective when the birds get lockjaw. Good job !!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

that is cool, i was very impressed with the results and i will use this technique if i can. the only problem with it is you can only use it when the turrain allows for you to move without being seen.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive heard of this technique before. Its kind of like when you can get a bird to come in and he hangs up at say 70 yards, instead of moving closer to him, move back 40-50 yards. When he realizes you are going the other way and ignoring him, it may make him come all the way in to you this time rather than stay away and wait for the hen to come to him.