Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Kansas Rios

Old 04-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Kansas Rios

Traveled to Kansas this past weekend for a quick hunt. Only had a day and a half to get the job done. Ended up only taking 10 minutes of legal light. Set up under some two roosted toms Saturday morning. Had them gobbling their heads off and spitting on the roost. They hit the ground in full strut in the middle of our decoys. They were only on the ground for 30 seconds and I was done. Two beautiful Rios. Both weighed 23 lbs. 10.5/ 10 in beards, 1 1/4 spurs. Couldnt have been more pumped. My first and second turkeys ever! Can't wait to go back. Bigger bird is at Hazel Creek and will hoepfully be ready by Oct/Nov.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Kansas Rios

congratulations those are two really nice birds
Old 04-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Wow!! Oh what fun! Congrats to you!! Way to go!
Old 04-17-2008, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

great job!
Old 04-17-2008, 08:48 AM

very nice birds!
Old 04-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

yeah, it's crazy how much easier the hunting is in the midwest.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigangrychicken

yeah, it's crazy how much easier the hunting is in the midwest.
This is the second dumbest quote in 2 days....
What information tells you that the hunting is easier here?
Old 04-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, the Kansas birds are way way way easier than Illinois birds. I hunted/filmed 3 hunts and 4 birds were killed. Hunting in the afternoon is crazy when you know their roost tree.Set a blind under it and wait. Saturday afternoon we were in the blind for half hour and 2 hens and tom came in. My buddy shot the tom. He went and picked it up and put it in the blind with us. A half hour later, a dozen more birds came in and more after that. Ended up with nearly 20 birds roosted within 50 yards of us.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Awsome birds and awsome hunt. From what I've always heard and read the birds seem to be a little easier to kill the further west you go. That by no means would deter me from ever wanting to hunt them, guess I'm just jealous that things never go as smooth here in PA as it seems like it did for you. Congrats again.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on those birds! Generally,I agree with most of what everyone has said re: the degree of hunting challange presented by western and mid western birds. I hunt 'em every spring,and some years they can be harder to put in the vest than others!
Pressure(or I guess I should say lack of it) has alot to do with it...... I've also noticed that on those occasions when gobblers are'nt responding to the call the way we all like to see 'em,they seem to tolerate more movement when and if you need to put asneak on 'em!

Quick Reply: Kansas Rios

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.