Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Anyone shoot Federal?

Old 04-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anyone shoot Federal?

Champlain

I might suggest clicking on the "search the forum" button above, type in "Nitro" as the search term and limit the search to just the turkey hunting forum.

or

Back a page or two in this forum there is athread about hevishot. I posted a pic of one of my Nitro targets and also provided a lengthy explanation of the differences between hevishot loads including those manufactured by the Nitro Ammunition Company in Mountain Grove Missouri.

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of the Nitro company nor do I stand to benefit in any way from the sale of Nitro ammo. I am simply a turkey hunter seeking the best possible combination of load, choke, and gun to cleanly and efficiently harvest gobblers at all reasonable rages. In Nitro ammunition I have found the holy grail.

Pic of my nitro target at 40 yards
http://www.hunting.net/forum/tm.aspx?m=2725325

Explaination of "heavier than lead" ammo
http://www.hunting.net/forum/tm.aspx?m=2725325&mpage=4&key=

Link to the Nitro Company website
http://www.nitrocompany.com
Old 04-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks MC I learned a lot just by following the forums you referred to. I guess I better do some checking with my gun dealer for some shells. Years ago when I bought my SBE I was kind of shocked at the recoil shooting a 3 1/2 mag. I got it ported and extended the forcing cone which might have been a mistake. True enough I got a gun that shoots much easier but wonder if I sacrificed pattern at the expense of recoil.I have 3 or 4 turkey chokes and have tried several loads some of which were improvements. Does the 4, 5, 7.5 load work well? Seems like it would be a perfect load for most conditions. I always use a 5 shot but would consider switching to a multi load after some pattern work. The nitros are pretty pricey but missing a mature tom is costly to the memory. Thanks for the info MC.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

I love 'em.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

i shot a red fox this year at 20-25yds with the federal flight control copper plated #4s....put a hurtin on him thats for sure! i normally shoot hevi shot out of the gun(rem 870 express mag turkey gun..21" barrel and Undertaker hevishot choke tube..) but had a bunch of random turkey loads laying around...they all patterened great from the gun...but the hevi shot had the edge and hits harder..so i figured id use the random lead loads for fox...

you wouldnt believe the pellets that were in that things head...i clobered him HARD. he never twitched. impressed me thats for sure...alot of time 4's are hard to get a good pattern from...

i love the flight control wads too!! i always said if the BBs miss the bird the wad might kill it! i had it going through paper at 25 or 30yds!!

best thing to do is get some different loads and see what your gun patterns best...the aftermarket choke tube made a world of difference in my gun as well...
Old 04-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys, I did buy some Federals with Flight Control, but also bought myself a Jellyhead, WHICH IS PORTED. Dont believe i can return the ammo, and even if i could, its about a 100 mile drive there and back to the store i bought them from. Will I be alright shooting these out of my ported Jellyhead? I thought I got a darn good combination getting this choke with these shells, then i read that they dont pattern well because of the choke being ported. Will i still be alright??
Old 04-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

3.5 fed fc's for me out of my 535! Kick some major arse even with the factory choke!!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

What is the story with the nitro loads? I guess I never tried them but have seen them in the gun shop. I get pretty good performance but nothing like 75 to 95 hits in a 10" circle at 40 yards much less over 200. What am I missing here.
Beware! There are shells out there that have "Nitro" on the box, but don't confuse them with the shells from "Nitro Company". Unless they're in a white box and they come from Missouri, they're not the real deal. Remington Nitros come to mind. Not even close to the real Nitros.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's a shame that you can't shoot some Hevishot this year. You'll love it when you do. When you decide to shoot it, go tohttp://www.nitrocompany.com/and do yourself a favor and get whatever choke they recommend for your gun along with whatever shell they recommend for it. You'll be finished guessing what shell/choke combinationwill shoot the best for your gun. I guarantee it. I wish I had stumbled onto their site when I was getting started.[:@]

Edit: Ah! I see you bought a Jelly Head choke! Heck, you're halfway home! Just get what Nitro recommends for whatever gun you shoot and your golden!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kdsberman

Well guys, I did buy some Federals with Flight Control, but also bought myself a Jellyhead, WHICH IS PORTED. Dont believe i can return the ammo, and even if i could, its about a 100 mile drive there and back to the store i bought them from. Will I be alright shooting these out of my ported Jellyhead? I thought I got a darn good combination getting this choke with these shells, then i read that they dont pattern well because of the choke being ported. Will i still be alright??
kdsberman, it won't hurt your gun any but your patterns might not be as good as if you were using a non ported choke. A lot of people use the FC loads out of ported chokes and do okay, but not out of my 835/Jelly Head. Until today, I never shot a 3.5" load out of the gun and my best 40 yard pattern put 68 pellets in a 10" circle. Tried some Hevi-13's today in #6 and put 102 pellets in a 10" circle from a 3" shell and 165 pellets in a 10" circle from a 3.5" shell at 40 yards. I'm sold on heavy shot. I'm afraid to try Nitros, my wallet is already hurtin!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:49 PM

Federal #6 in 3 or 3 1/2 inch depending on the gun I'm using. The most important thing is to pattern your gun to see if the load is going to work in your gun. Each gun is different. Some shoot Federal better, some Remmington or Winchester. Shot size can also effect the pattern. Had a gun once that shot a much better pattern with #4 shot than it did with #6. Go practice and see how the load patterns out of your gun.

Quick Reply: Anyone shoot Federal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.